John Mayer Trio - Try!

wacopacco

• Members

anyone else got this cd? I've been a fan of his stuff before, but this stuff he's doing now is awesome. He's not just ripping off srv or hendrix, he's definately got his own style, mostly evident in his songwriting. Yea it's easy to call him an srv knockoff, but if you look past that and into the songs, you see he's got his own identity, other than the '...wonderland' identity. Great tone, chops, songs, cool hendrix cover. Check out Vultures, Wait Until Tomorrow, Another Kind of Green (my favorite on the disk)

• Members

I saw half of a show of his tonight and it was really good
I still have a little trouble with his vocals; a little too affected and too many stupid faces
but he's got some nice skills and tone
a couple of times I got bored with some of his blues licks; a little repetive

but good stuff

• Members

Originally posted by 89strat

And his dumble.....

I didn't know he was playing a dumble these days. I thought he was still using Two Rock amps or something. I have a bunch of old bootleg mp3's that I have had since before he hit it big and it's just him and his acoustic. The depth of his tone is still there in with just the acoustic, him and a {censored} recording. A strat and a killer amp is icing on the cake for him. I've seen him live twice and besides the teenie boopers the second time...he truly blew me away!

• Members

Originally posted by wacopacco

ya he's using 2 Two Rocks's now, along with a Vibroverb, and a tweed Twin. I also think he's got a leslie of some sort, Fender Vibrotone?

There's some web site somewhere, which I think was posted not too long ago on this forum, that shows off all his stuff and describes the two rocks and the dumble and a buch of cool fx's. I had a chance to try out a Two Rocks at Rudy's in Manhattan. Nice little amp.

• Members
Originally posted by 89strat

There's some web site somewhere, which I think was posted not too long ago on this forum, that shows off all his stuff and describes the two rocks and the dumble and a buch of cool fx's. I had a chance to try out a Two Rocks at Rudy's in Manhattan. Nice little amp.

ya the Two Rock Opal is a sweet machine

• Members

It is his best effort so far. Still, watching the on free PPV this month he's got some tunes that he may as well just start by saying I stole this from Hendrix or SRV because it's blantant.

He has this one signature noise he makes with his guitar, he used the same thing on the Crossroads DVD. He uses a couple of different tunings with the pentatonic minor scale, a lot.

He's got some good tunes this time, but it just looks like he's trying to be a blues man to hard. The faces need to go for sure.

Archived