SCOD vs. Keeley Rat

bobbtoz

• Members

I've been using a Keeley Rat pedal on the od side of a bogner shiva. With the gain on the shiva at noon and the keeley rat's gain way down I get an incredible lead tone. I use the guitar volume and roll back for rhythm. I'm thinking about getting a SCOD and just want to know if any of you guys have played these two pedals back to back.

• Members

Totally night and day. I'm not a fan of the RAT.. and i've tried to be. I had a Keeley Rat as well..and while it was better.. it still sounded fake to me. It's great for solos, i suppose, but for any kind of rhythms or warmth or depth in your tone.. i just found the Rat completely lacking.
The SCOD sounds organic and amplike. the RAT sounds like what it is..that diode clipping boxy distortion. it's got great cut..but lacks real character and note definition, IMO

I've said it many times..the SCOD is the only distortion pedal that I've ever LOVED..let alone even liked. Nothing had come close for me until I got the SCOD

• Members

Originally posted by Stoney Stomp

Totally night and day. I'm not a fan of the RAT.. and i've tried to be. I had a Keeley Rat as well..and while it was better.. it still sounded fake to me. It's great for solos, i suppose, but for any kind of rhythms or warmth or depth in your tone.. i just found the Rat completely lacking.

The SCOD sounds organic and amplike. the RAT sounds like what it is..that diode clipping boxy distortion. it's got great cut..but lacks real character and note definition, IMO

I've said it many times..the SCOD is the only distortion pedal that I've ever LOVED..let alone even liked. Nothing had come close for me until I got the SCOD

My only complaint about the rat is it does not have the warmth of some other stuff I've tried. The keeley rat excelles at retaining its bottom and the way it pushes my amp sounds great. So basiclally I'm looking for something that will push my amp w/out loosing any bottom and adding some warmth to the tone. Sounds like the SCOD might be my ticket.

Archived