home recording questions

gr8fuldodd

• Members

rather than research myself...

my $99 Tascam 4 track, which I bought for randon fun and nothing serious obviously, has a severe noise problem and I'm sick of it anyway

I was thinking it might be nice to join the ranks of the digital recording world

I have a laptop

so what is the best route for me to take?

what do I need to buy and what's the best bang for my buck?

mic?

My needs:

Basic recording abilities

no extensive post editing features

decent sound, but nothing that I would need if I were actually attempting a quality recording

• Members

The program Tracktion appears to be simple to use and very user-friendly. It costs about $200 bucks, though. YOu can find cheaper ones out there (even free programs) that may not be as user friendly.

Then you will need a mixing board (stay away from the Behringer stuff) and a decent microphone.

I like the $100 dollar yamaha board I bought and the Senheiser E609 mic ($100) records nicely. I suppose for around $300 bucks you should be good to go.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

The program Tracktion appears to be simple to use and very user-friendly. It costs about $200 bucks, though. YOu can find cheaper ones out there (even free programs) that may not be as user friendly.

Then you will need a mixing board (stay away from the Behringer stuff) and a decent microphone.

I like the $100 dollar yamaha board I bought and the Senheiser E609 mic ($100) records nicely. I suppose for around $300 bucks you should be good to go.

+1 except you forgot a nice sound card for the laptop. I would also get a dual channel mic pre if you only need a couple of channel, otherwise a yamaha mixer is a good idea.

• Members

in order of importance (IMO):

-a good ear, and good sense of timing
-acoustic absorption
use blankets, furniture, anything that has mass to prevent soundwaves from bouncing around
-mics
I've chosen decent mics... AKG C430 pair for overheads, Sennheiser e902 for bass and kicks, Sennheiser e604 for close miking toms, Shure SM57 for snare and stuff, Sennheiser e609 for guitar cabs, Shure SM58 for everything, Rode NT1000 for vocals and acoustic. I only have the kick mic so far, but I'm already sold on those other ones.
-preamps
I've worked with a Firepod before and am happy with its preamps
-cables
probably Mogami
-everything else
an adequate computer, patience, etc.

I think the best route for DIY recording is to find a good, basic setup like what's listed above. I've chosen the Presounus Firepod to work with my old Titanium G4 Powerbook. The laptop isn't up to secifications with the Firepod, but it still works for a lot of people who use it with "underpowered" computers so I'm not too worried about compatibility. From all that I've read, I think the Firepod is really nice for hobbyists, and I'm sure I'll be satisfied with it.

• Members

whoops. sorry i missed your other post

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

so since I have a laptop, do I need to get some sort of external thing to plug into as opposed to a better sound card in the laptop itself?

you can. the firepod that i'm getting is external and is connected with a firewire cable

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

and what do you call that item anyway?

recording interface

Archived