Carl Martin drive/ boost mkIII

Nico de Roode

• Members

My predecessor in my band used the Mk. 2 on a Korg RI AC30 and got a great sound out of it. The Heavy Drive too, by the way. Especially the HD'n B is a pedal that is picky about the amp you put it through, but it shines on an AC30.

Go to our website www.cantrip.nl and go to the old tube radio at the top right of the screen. The menu of song will drop out. I believe 'Nothing Wrong' had the Mk.2 during the verses (the riff, not the higher picking). The chorus and intro were the Heavy Drive if I remember it right.

The Mk. 3 is slightly less dark to my ears, but still has the TS-like compression that you either love or hate. The HD'n B has an emphasis on lower mids than a TS has, but that works pretty well with AC30's.

• Members

Heavy drive over a MK3??
If you want less compression in the 3, we can do that, but they really do not compress very much, maybe it is the amps I use and have used it on, but no much compression there, a normal ts-style has gobs more compression:D
It is symetrical, more smooth and it loves AC-30's.
One of our friends has the very first of the testpedals, he is not happy about returning it ever..;)

• Members

I think i'm going to sell my hotbox, and go for the new MI audio crunchbox, and a Trex mudhoney. Maybe the Okko diablo, had lovely lowend and that bodyknob is great for dialing in grit. But the MIaudio was more lineair sounding. ( more like the amp)
But first try the MK3.

• Members
Originally posted by Rid

Heavy drive over a MK3??

:D

I knew I'd get your attention with that one, hahaha ! But seriously, in the heavier kinds of OD, the Heavy Drive is one of the greatest pedals out there. It has an amazing amouint of volume dynamics left for the amount of gain it delivers.
I'm just not much of an HD'nB lover, I guess. Or mild/medium OD lover, for that fact :o

• Members

Well since the Heavy is basicly a hdb with a different eq setup, and it has more bottomend than all the other drives except the Plexi, that is why it feels and sounds more highgainy;)
The HDB's just wants a good amp at normal gigging levels.
I have a old one that I bought way before I had anything to do with CM, it works great but it is very 90's and late 80's in its nature, it plenty of gain, but it is not like those we make today.

Archived