SCOD question

bobbtoz

• Members

I hear great things about this pedal. Does this pedal function well as an OD or is it strictly a distortion pedal that sounds best through a clean channel of your amp? Keep in mind that I have great success w/ a Keeley Rat as an OD into my shiva.

I'm looking for something that will push the shiva OD similar to the Keeley Rat w/ out turning to mud, loosing bass and it must sound warmer than the Keeley Rat. So basically I'm just looking for the thumbs up from you guys to buy another OD pedal.

Any other recommendations would be great too.

• Members

The scod is an amazing pedal. I've never played a rat but you can't go wrong with an scod. It's very warm and organic sounding, has tons of bass and seems to react well with my amps tone controls, so if it ever sounds muddy to you, you can fix it with a little EO'ing. Just buy one man!

• Members

Originally posted by light years

so is the scod a "distortion" pedal? i was going to get a toadworks john bull but ive read that its more a fuzz/overdrive. help a dude out!

If it makes your life any more difficult, I've been meaning to pick up a John Bull since Ryan demo'd Toadworks for me and my buddies this summer. John Bull is a cool sounding box. :cool:

• Members

One thing I don't like so much is the RAT/SCOD comparison that springs up here and there. They are entirely different topologies. There is another pedal out there that is a RAT lookalike but it is not the SCOD. Granted the SCOD has a lot of gain on tap as does the RAT, after a few minutes with both it will be evident that they are different animals.

Just sayin, I don't want folks expecting a RAT sound when they buy an SCOD.

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

One thing I don't like so much is the RAT/SCOD comparison that springs up here and there. They are entirely different topologies. There is another pedal out there that is a RAT lookalike but it is not the SCOD. Granted the SCOD has a lot of gain on tap as does the RAT, after a few minutes with both it will be evident that they are different animals.

Just sayin, I don't want folks expecting a RAT sound when they buy an SCOD.

Completely agreed. They're night and day. The RAT is fine for what it does, I suppose. But it just sounds/feels unnatural to me. The SCOD sounds like an extension of my amp and where OD's and Distortions are concerned, that's my FIRST requirement.

Nic, i guess people try to compare just because they're both high gain. People just need to relate new information to something they're already aware of, I suppose.

But they really are night and day.

• Members

ok, ive listened to the scod demos and the john bull. that last demo of the scod to me, sounds like a "distortion" the bull has more of a fuzz thing going on. still beautiful sounding but i want distortion. im getting closer to a decision here. is there anymore clips of the scod anywhere?

• Members

Originally posted by light years

ok, ive listened to the scod demos and the john bull. that last demo of the scod to me, sounds like a "distortion" the bull has more of a fuzz thing going on. still beautiful sounding but i want distortion. im getting closer to a decision here. is there anymore clips of the scod anywhere?

The John Bull is a cool pedal. It kind of a "Marshall" pedal, I suppose. At least thats what it's always reminded me of.

The SCOD is more like an Orange, if that makes any sense. Not as buzzy as a Marshall, bit more low end.

• Members

Originally posted by fortytwo

I loved my rat.. When I was 18..

Now that I'm 28, I could never plug a Rat in again.. But I love my SCOD, it has a nice spectre of sound to it...

BTW Stoney..

What's the Dr.Z Amp in your avatar? And is it yours?

Yeah, she's mine. It's a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr

mazavatar.jpg

fuzzymaz.jpg

• Members

Nice..

I'm thinking about selling off a bunch of my vintage amps and cabs, and getting a reliable 2x12" combo.. So I'm looking at various amps, Matchless, Marshall, Vox, Fender and they're all nice, but I'd like to try a Dr.Z amp, and the Maz 38 Sr. looked like an amp for me.

• Members

Originally posted by fortytwo

Nice..

I'm thinking about selling off a bunch of my vintage amps and cabs, and getting a reliable 2x12" combo.. So I'm looking at various amps, Matchless, Marshall, Vox, Fender and they're all nice, but I'd like to try a Dr.Z amp, and the Maz 38 Sr. looked like an amp for me.

They're really amazing amps and considering the quality...they're a bargain. The MAZ is incredible because it can really do a lot of tones..from Fender to Vox to a nice Marshall grind (with the volume dimed). Mine is a 2x10 and I get really stellar tones out of it.

I've also owned a Carmen Ghia; which I miss still. One day i'll own one again.

He's also got a fairly new one called the Prescription Extra Strength; which i'd like to check out. Z has a lot of amps to choose from now so you can probably find something that suits your tastes.

I've also owned a Matchless Chieftan; which i liked a lot but i never connected with it. I like the old SC-30's better anyway.

My one piece of advice would be this... the most important piece of gear in your arsenal, really is your amp. So take your time and find one that suits you

:thu:

Archived