Amazing album

paydirt

• Members

There have been a few people talking about Floyd albums lately, and I ran across this in a Musicians Friend e-mail. It's pretty impressive.

"1981, Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd's eighth LP, becomes the longest-charting album ever at 402 consecutive weeks in the Top 200 Albums chart ... the album will stay on the charts for another 189 weeks, for a total of nearly 11 consecutive years in the Top 200 ... rumor has it that at one point one Capitol Records plant presses nothing but DSOTM discs ... the album will enjoy a resurgence years later, when someone with too much time on his hands realizes that when the CD is synced to The Wizard of Oz, there are a number of musical and lyrical coincidences ... the band denies that the album and film are connected in any way whatsoever, and since VCRs and CD players had yet to become readily available when the album was recorded in 1973, it appears to be no more than coincidence..."

One of the Greatest albums EVER!

• Members

11 years. wow.

what's astonishing to me is that an album that's GOOD actually stayed in the top 200 all that time.
because millions of fans CAN be wrong. the longest running Broadway play was CATS wasn't it?

it still amazes me that so many people are into Floyd though. they're very artsy and can be quite dark. nothing at all like the opulence of Zeppelin or the boogie rock of the Stones--and yet they have a comporable following.

Archived