Moog issue

Tspoon Man

• Members

What a wonderful thing. I got me a Moog!!!

I got the Moog prodigy, very nice very fun, amazing to play with, no Keyboard I played in my room ever mad the doors shake like this one...

but, I realized I have a few things I want to find out...

*how can I find a tutorial for it? is it somewhere online?

cuz I really want to learn more...

*is there a way to find out what year was it made by the serial number? cuz I wanna know!

*The pitch bend wheel doesn't really change pitch with 2 oscillators, it just makes a really cool phasing sound... is that supposed to be like that? can I make it a pitch changer too?

*Hooking up a moog to a nice panning delay effect on my mixer/computer makes it souds twice as better ( and wider ) is there any peddle effect someone would recommend for me to buy? cuz I want to be able to control my delay rates on stage. Should peddel be analog? Digital? I really don't want to lose the quality of this sweet vintage sound...

*and the last and sad thing, my keyboard has some faults. The highest 2 keys "choke" and don't play well when you put a lot of filters. Did this happen in someone else's Moog? And the saddest thing: when changing the oscillator source and height a few times there is a weird thing where the keyboard stops playing for a while until you change it back again.

I'm gonna send it to be fixed by an expert on old keys today. I just wanna know if anyone knows about these glitches or had them before.

I really hope someone who's had a moog and I'm sure found himself asking the same questions can help me!

Thanx ahead

Tspoon man

• Members

You've taken the first big step of sending it out for repair. Sounds like you definately had some electronic issues in there that I'm sure a qualified tech can isolate.

As for the year it was made, Moog used to staple or glue a yellow QC ticket to the inside that had the inspectors initials and usually the date stamped right on it. I'm not sure how many of these actually exist anymore if they've been opened in the past because the glue wears off and they just fall out. My MicroMoog had one, and the date stamped on it was from 1977, so that was cool to know. I think the Prodigy was produced from 1979 into the early 80's. That's about as accurate as I can give you. If your tech opens it up, make sure he doesn't throw away the inspection ticket if in fact there is one!

• Members

Originally posted by Tspoon Man

*how can I find a tutorial for it? is it somewhere online?

cuz I really want to learn more...

The best way to learn is to find out what every knob does. Since the Prodigy has no memory, this is incredibly simple; just try every knob.

After that, try bringing directions to your sound. Have a digital camera handy. Take pictures of the front panel's settings when you perceive a sound with a certain character - e.g. "metallic", "cold", "warm", "dull", "bright".

Then it becomes a matter of putting the settings to "cold" and find a way to go to "warm" in the smallest number of steps.

If all else fails:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

*Hooking up a moog to a nice panning delay effect on my mixer/computer makes it souds twice as better ( and wider ) is there any peddle effect someone would recommend for me to buy? cuz I want to be able to control my delay rates on stage. Should peddel be analog? Digital? I really don't want to lose the quality of this sweet vintage sound...

For synthesizers, usually 1U rack units are used, not pedals. I recommend a TC M300 - it's got presets and big knobs with easy to read/easy to change settings. It's got several delays, phasers and a really nice reverb.

• Members

Well, as usual, thankx for all the helpful tips and links, really cool stuff ( this damn forum, every time I post something I spend days of browsing links after... )

so:

about the manual, the link has the technical manual which is goot, but I need the owners manual too, anyone knows by any chance where is it downloadable?

Messing around with the synth is defiantly the best way to get to know it, while playing and saying hey! this is that pink floyd song sound! or this is just like that ELP solo, or this is the sound from the Beatles "Because" song. But still I wanna learn more, like what does "Filter controls" do? why do I need to control the cut off frequency attack time :-0 ??

I hope the manual will really solve these issues.

about the delay, I've been avoiding for years having racks, cuz I hate going with them on stage and carrying them around. is there some sort of a peddle some on is using??

if so, does it have stereo delay?

• Members

Originally posted by Tspoon Man

is there some sort of a peddle some on is using??

if so, does it have stereo delay?

i own and recommend either of these:

line6 DL4 - sounds the best (IMHO)

boss giga delay dd-20 _ is easier to use

both have stereo delays, both have analog presets

Archived