Does less choice = more creativity?

Goofball Jones

• Members

Originally posted by pizzamon

well, maybe I'm the bad guy here, but I kinda agree that less can be more. Some of the producers I listen to the most work with nothing more than a 500 mhz powerbook and some old freeware on os9!

The fact that (cliche) less can be more, doesn't imply in the least that less must be more. So, what was it that you were saying?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by sizzlemeister

It's not a FACT that less can be more, it's a bumper-sticker slogan.

I do think that it has been proven to be fact. My mommy told me it was. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Dejavoodoo

from Ecclesiastes, Chapter 1, Verses 9-10

"What has been, that will be; what has been done, that will be done. Nothing is new under the sun. Even the thing of which we say, "See, this is new!" has already existed in the ages that preceded us."

Something for us all to consider.

something tells me solomon never saw the arcade fire live.

• Members

Originally posted by sizzlemeister

So the "formula" intro + verse + chorus + verse + chorus etc. is missing the fundamental argument here, which is the formula that describes how sound becomes music.

A formula is generally used to describe a specific procedure using specific elements that results in the creation of a specific thing. I afraid the intro+verse+chorus etc. equation is more a template than a formula. You would need to be more specific in this template for it to become a formula.

First of all, an "equation" is by its very definition a type of "formula". Secondly, Its a matter of opinion which term is more appropriate. Among music critics, the word "formulaic" is used quite often to describe something (for better or worse) and refers to this phenomena of not straying to far from established genre formulas - or templates, if you prefer... although I havent really heard the term "templative" used very often.

If you want to be super precise about the definition of the word "formula" - lets consult Websters dictionary:

Main Entry: for

• Members

Originally posted by Awakened_Yeti

First of all, an "equation" is by its very definition a type of "formula". Secondly, Its a matter of opinion which term is more appropriate. Among music critics, the word "formulaic" is used quite often to describe something (for better or worse) and refers to this phenomena of not straying to far from established genre formulas - or templates, if you prefer... although I havent really heard the term "templative" used very often.

If you want to be super precise about the definition of the word "formula" - lets consult Websters dictionary:

So, as you can see, the word "formula" would apply just as easily to this as the word "template". You can prefer either term according to your own tastes, but this is more a matter of personal opinion than some kind of factual divergence of meaning.

However - the argument for the "formula of how sound becomes music" is a misnomer to begin with because again we are in the realm of artistic subjectivity... as "music" is a very broad term that could include any number of various styles - some which are nothing but pure noise (to people who do not call it "music"). Across cultures and groups there are many different classifications of music, and they do not always agree with each other about what is "melodic" or "harmonius" and what is not.

If you narrow the focus and say "what is the formula for how sound becomes hip-hop music?" then you can get closer. Youve got bass sounds, drum sounds, melodic sounds, etc. etc.

The question isnt how abstract you can theorize - as theoretical abstraction for its own sake has no practical application beyond discussion or books. If you want to discover practical methods (i.e. formulas) then you must theorize from a practical basis and use abstraction to reach a practical end, a practical goal or objective.

Since I'm not as "intellectual" as the rest of you folk... perhaps you could put all that into "GILLIGAN" terms for me?

Guest Anonymous

Infinity....................................

I win, I win.

Im now in control. I have gained control of this thread. I win, I win. Im the winner of this thread.

The End.

...my mommy.:bor:

• Members

Originally posted by EerieDreamZ

Since I'm not as "intellectual" as the rest of you folk... perhaps you could put all that into "GILLIGAN" terms for me?

here's my 'low-brow' pirate version:

something makes a sound.

at what 'point' does the sound become music?

when that point is reached, is there a formula that can describe it ?

start with an oscillator giving out a steady state signal.

or a violin bow being pulled across a string.

or a voice trying to sustain a tone.

then mess up your brain and waste time by trying to figure it out.

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

here's my 'low-brow' pirate version:

something makes a sound.

at what 'point' does the sound become music?

when that point is reached, is there a formula that can describe it ?

start with an oscillator giving out a steady state signal.

or a violin bow being pulled across a string.

or a voice trying to sustain a tone.

then mess up your brain and waste time by trying to figure it out.

LOL

• Members

some of the fundamental elements that could be used in a formula for music:
pitch, amplitude, duration, intervals between pitches sounded simultaneously (chords), methods of moving between various chords, principles of tension and resolution, principles of moving from one pitch to the next (melody), and the relationship of those pitches to the underlying and constantly shifting chord structure.

often compared to writing, wherein individual notes (sounds) could be seen as letters, chords seen as words, phrases seen as sentences, and larger structural elements such as verse, chorus, and so on could be seen as paragraphs.

of course, there's varying levels of sophistication employed in different formulas. formulas can also be used to try to elicit a specific response - but now we're branching a bit out into left field.

• Members

i find myself being more creative with more limitations yes. to a point anyway, like i need to be able to do a certain ammount of things, but i find myself a lot more creative when i'm limited to using just a computer sequencer and my harrdware sampler than i am with a DAW and a million software instruments.

Archived