OC140 Germanium Transistors

franjo

• Members

dear forumites,

i have 2 tonebenderlike circuits here, one is the toneburner from gerneralguitargadgets and the other one is a pedal by spooktone. the toneburner goes great with evry type of germanium tranny, the spooktone is great with thiose hi-gain germaniums.

i have gathered some germanium trannies, among them 5 oc140 . sad enough, they only work as 1st tranny in the toneburner, don't work in the 2nd & 3rd position at all and don't do anything in the spooktone.

their connection wires to the sockets are fairly thin, but thickening it with tin solder doesn't help either.

has anyone an idea?

many thanx for any hint

franjo

• Members

Originally posted by franjo

dear forumites,

i have 2 tonebenderlike circuits here, one is the toneburner from gerneralguitargadgets and the other one is a pedal by spooktone. the toneburner goes great with evry type of germanium tranny, the spooktone is great with thiose hi-gain germaniums.

i have gathered some germanium trannies, among them 5 oc140 . sad enough, they only work as 1st tranny in the toneburner, don't work in the 2nd & 3rd position at all and don't do anything in the spooktone.

their connection wires to the sockets are fairly thin, but thickening it with tin solder doesn't help either.

has anyone an idea?

many thanx for any hint

franjo

I have yet to find a good source for geranium transitors. On my Fuzz Face clone GE sounds like crap when it is in the first transistor position. Works, but it sounds weak and fizzy. I've been through about 6 different transistors but none have enough gain. My solution was to use a silicon BC109 in Q1 and use the geranium (AC127) in the second stage.

• Members

one note

Germanium = transister

Geranium = flower

right,

Old transisters vary wildley in gain, so t can be worth buying a few then checking the gain of them on a tester (I know quite a few multimeters have them) as if you have got a set with all fairly low/high/whatever gain they won't be suited

one of hte reasons why old fuzzfaces can be so hit and miss is the differing gain of the transisters, and them just bunging them in and not checking them first

David

Archived