Effect on Smashing Pumpkins- Thirty-Three

placebo62

• Members

From Guitar World January 1997 -

"Thirty-Three"

A simple song in a country tuning, "Thirty-Three" was the first song the I wrote when I came home from all the Siamese Dream touring. I took three days off, and this was literally the first thing that came out of my hands when I sat down. I was living in my new house for the first time, and this song conveys all of that. The "cha-cha-cha" sound is my drum machine through a flanger, and what you hear is the same one right off the demo because I couldn't remember how to recreate it. The stringly sounds are part Vocoder, plus five slide guitars tuned to one note each to create the chords.

• Members

Originally posted by houseofglass21

From Guitar World January 1997 -

"Thirty-Three"

A simple song in a country tuning, "Thirty-Three" was the first song the I wrote when I came home from all the Siamese Dream touring. I took three days off, and this was literally the first thing that came out of my hands when I sat down. I was living in my new house for the first time, and this song conveys all of that. The "cha-cha-cha" sound is my drum machine through a flanger, and what you hear is the same one right off the demo because I couldn't remember how to recreate it. The stringly sounds are part Vocoder, plus five slide guitars tuned to one note each to create the chords.

hey thanks for that, where did you find the article?

I dont know a thing about vocoders....they are more for vocals obviously right?

• Members

yeah-- a lot of cats 'round here knock Corgan, and I don't really care for anything the man released after Siamese Dream (MC has some good tracks but fails as an album, for me)-- but let's face it, he's incredibly imaginative in the studio.

don't even get me started about Siamese Dream. twelve years later it still blows my mind, every time I listen to it... INCREDIBLE guitar layering... geek u.s.a. nearly brings me to tears.

Archived