Getting started in MAX. Any advice?

hyperstationjr

• Members

SO I've begun going through tutorial after tutorial in Max to try and pick up as much as I can and learn by myself...

I plan on doing some FM and sequencing, and along with my Nord Modulars and MPC, should make for a hell of a uber-snare-roll-fest...

I really would like to learn about some sequencing and MIDI manipulation, maybe some sampling later...

At any rate, anyone else doing this? I'm really a trial-and-error learner, but this stuff is just way over my head to just DO from scratch... Is it really just learning the tutorials and going from there?

Anyone have any resources they would like to share?

What kind of Max community is lurking KSS???

• Members

Well, one piece of advice would be don't post to the Max forums at cycling74 unless you want a lot of spam. Turns out that even if you post to the forum with 'show email address' turned off, they then send your post with your real email address. out to the thousands of people on the mailing list.

I pointed out via email that this wasn't a great idea, and offered a good solution, and got an incredibly patronising response from one of their technical support people comprising things like of 'it's the internet. you get spam' , and 'how dare you say we don't protect our user's privacy' and finally 'I'm banning you and telling my boss on you'.

In this case, it was a unique email address created just for the purpose of using the max forums and it's getting several spam messages a day, 3 days after the first post. I predict that'll increase steadily over the next few weeks.

Just a friendly heads up.

Regarding doing things with Max/MSP, I'd suggest thinking about some task be it MIDI of level activated recording (what I did on the weekend) and just sitting down hacking away trying to produce a patch that does it. It certainly won't be pretty, but if you go through the tutorials at the same time you'll learn a lot about how to use it. If you come back and start the patch again, I also guarantee it'll be a lot cleaner the second time around :)

Finally, some things really are difficult to do in Max itself, but really easy to do by writing a simple few-line Java external. There's even a simple editor built in. Look for help on the mxj object and the writing Java externals documentation file.

B>

• Members

I don't know ANYTHING about code, not even basic HTML (which really is a shame seeig as how I'm a graphic designer, we are suppost to be born with that already downloaded... alas...)

As for learning, so far my method has been looking through the tutourials and recreating whats going on, then trying to make it do something interesting, like using METRO's to make "random" tempo, or making a clock divider/multiplier... stuff like that...

It's worked out so far, but since I don't have a MIDI system on this computer (my laptop, being my secondary/office computer..) I can't really touch the MIDI stuff, it's just way over my head for the most part without some sort of feedback or knowing what is acctually happening in the MIDI world so to speak..

Anyways what I'd really like to do is just create a simple 16 beat step sequencer to start... and move on to the kind of stuff I do with the Nord G2 and further explore those ideas in Max...

I also had the idea of making my own objects in Max of basic synth parts, like FM oscillators, various filters, ADSR's and all kindes of stuff (with modulation points included) so I can easily build modular synths within Max like you would with a Nord Mod... I know some of this has already been done, but I guess I'll see how it goes...

It should be fun...

Anyone care to share some patches they make or found??

In reguards to the Cycling74 forum, I signed up with a secondary E-mail adress I set up for possible spam-sending sites so I guess I won't have to worry about that...

• Members

Cycling 74 stuff seems like the 'go to' stuff after the Nord Modulars and Native Instrument's Reaktor 5 and it's core cells.

I'm still trying to get my head around Reaktor!

So who here has made the 'logical progession'?

Has anybody really looked at how powerful the G2 is?

• Members

All the synthesis stuff requires you to use MSP. In general, MSP is a bit more exciting (needing DSP to be on etc etc).

I'd suggest getting reasonably familiar with the Max stuff first, because you're probably going to need to use it for logic and control

Don't forget to have the reference manual open in a PDF reader all the time. I'd personally recommend printing the MSP and Max reference manuals out, and to hell with the trees.

B>

• Members

http://tinyurl.com/zrfqy

The above is a link to Nord G2 performances.

For those without a G2, you can check out mp3s . If you're into ae glitch, check out Ivity and mother misty. Into ambient soundscape g2ian. And for multi-tracked sid stuff, stanley pain. Check out Blue Hell too. It's a learning experience. Lots of amazing stuff there, without post-processing.

Sounds amazing.

• Members

Oh I'm well on my way exploring the Nord Modulars, I've done all kinds of sequencing with them, and really rely on the G2 as my main "sequencer" now, used sort of like a "groovebox" with all kinds of FM precussion and stuff...

I'll say I haven't explored the "Synth" aspects as much, I did when I first got it, but man those MIDI modules are amazing...

I'm just trying out Max because I feel like there is a certain amount of limitation I have, little tasks I would really love to do that I just can't because of DSP and module constraints...

That's not to say the G2 is particularly limited in a way, but I have wanted to pick up Max for the last year and a half, and feel like the combination of an MPC, G1, G2 and Max would be insane... that would be a whole performance just routing everything! (and I just picked up another patchbay for free, that should help....).

I've checked out a lot of those guys patches on the Electro-Music forum, so I have an idea of where the G2 can go... Those sampler/looper patches are sick...

Packrat, yeah, for now I'm going to work on getting basic Max chops before I move into MSP, if for no other reason than that I really would like to work with MIDI first and formost...

• Members

Well, I tried MAX at one point (few years ago) and got lost very quickly. I gave it up and switched to Ableton. What I can do is direct you to another forum that I sometimes haunt. It's full of little raver kids that can be annoying, but it's also full of professional max producers. You can start a MAX thread here and probably get good response from the pro guys. If you come in contact with a guy that goes by NAW, he is a good one to talk to about MAX.

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=7428ceae99b9d80d757e76f9113169a1

• Members

Just sort of something I've been ultra curious about for a long time...

Anyone have those mythical "Autechre" max patches that were zsupposedly reverse engineered??

All the websites that had them all linked to the same site which is now down, and no one else posted them, so if anyone has them on file somewhere and wouldn't mind sending them my way, I'd love to take a look at them...

• Members

i'm currently using an NM, G2, Max/MSP and ChucK. my advice is to start with the tutorials, keep the .pdfs for the references available at all times, go through the reference .pdf for each object, open their help patchers (alt click on an object) and play with them, and finally, don't be too intimidated at first -- you don't need to be a programmer, just thinking like one sometimes can help, though, and don't be shy about cannibalizing the help patchers and sticking the pieces together with other pieces to make what you want. this is, in my opinion, the fastest way to learn and have fun at the same time.

also, i have, to my knowledge, never received any spam as a result of using the cycling74 forum.

• Members

That is exactly how I tackled the Nord Modulars, just ripping apart patches and addings peices from here and there...

Oh and if anyone is interested, I finally found a copy of those "autechre" Max patches, very interesting stuff... I'll try to get my head around it... If anyone wants it just let me know.

• Members

Originally posted by simulacreant

also, i have, to my knowledge, never received any spam as a result of using the cycling74 forum.

Do you use an email address for just that forum? Since posting to the java-dev forum for the very first time with a unique email address and having my address sent to thousands of people I've received 11 spams, mostly ebay and paypal scam emails. The email address is tokenised and thus unguessable and has never been used except on that forum.

I have since pointed out to cycling74 that this isn't a good thing, and received a ranty email saying that it's my own fault, that it 'has' to be that way, that they're insulted that I have even suggested that they have compromised their user's privacy (by sending out their private email address to thousands), and finally now having been banned for the forum.

That single post was a question about some details of one of the Java interface classes, incidentally.

B>

• Members

Originally posted by packrat

Do you use an email address for just that forum? Since posting to the java-dev forum for the very first time with a unique email address and having my address sent to thousands of people I've received 11 spams, mostly ebay and paypal scam emails. The email address is tokenised and thus unguessable and has never been used except on that forum.

I have since pointed out to cycling74 that this isn't a good thing, and received a ranty email saying that it's my own fault, that it 'has' to be that way, that they're insulted that I have even suggested that they have compromised their user's privacy (by sending out their private email address to thousands), and finally now having been banned for the forum.

That single post was a question about some details of one of the Java interface classes, incidentally.

B>

Wow, that's crazy. I'm using my main e-mail address which was provided by Comcast, a digital cable/high-speed internet provider in Virginia, USA. It doesn't have the best spam protection but I get very few spam messages in a month.

• Members

Rather than rely on spam protection, I use a unique email address for every different application. This allows me tell exactly who has sold, given away, or leaked my email address, and deal with it on a case-by-case basis.

Usually I'd just just write off any address that gets given away to spammers, but in this case I figured it was some correctable mistake. What do you think being banned from the forums for bringing it up means?

Incidentally, those 11 spams (12 now) are since Friday. Given the way that spammers tend to re-sell their address collections to each other, I expect it'll be receiving dozens a day within a month or so.

B>

• Members

Originally posted by packrat

... and finally 'I'm banning you and telling my boss on you'.

FYI neither Jim or I have ever banned someone from the Numerology list.

especially with words like that. that's just bad business.

i _have_ been banninated myself from a developer's blog which shall remain nameless because i happen to think that blogger's better half is a really nice guy who does good work and doesn't need the boneheaded actions of his partner to bring his company any ill will on the tinternet (which happens without me naming names anyway.)

• Members

It's definitely slower than when I first got my Nord that's for sure, but it's going along.

I'm building "Random Clock Generators" and things like that, really simple stuff, some basic math patches

It'll be a while before I do anything really worth while, I guess the satisfaction of having a crazy Max patch won't be any time soon, but I have done some interesting things by deconstructing interesting Max Patches, and trying to translate them into the Nord G2...

I'd recommend giving it a try, I mean at very least download Max/MSP runtime, download some patches and just try them out.

Archived