Fender Amp Dilema....

• Members

Ok...I have a 73 Pro Reverb (blackfaced) that I love for its clean sound. The problem, is that even with a drummer, another guitar player, and a bass, it's is way too loud at 5 and does not break up without pedals. I am thinking about selling this amp, and getting a Deluxe Reverb. The Pro is a hair above 40 watts into two 12's. How much difference in volume would there be between the two amps. I thought this would be a great amp for headroom & breakup (unlike the Twin), but unless there is some secret to making it break up ealier, I can only see turning it up that loud outdoors. Thanks for your help.

• Members

I've used one by Scholtz-Rockman, and hated it. The amp I had before was also 40 watts, but only had one 12 that was powered by EL84's. The problem with that amp was that it broke up TOO early. I'm looking for a nice mix, but maybe there isn't one. :(

Any opinions from Deluxe owners who have played un-miked in a full band setting?

• Members
Originally posted by JackTheRipper

I've used one by Scholtz-Rockman, and hated it. The amp I had before was also 40 watts, but only had one 12 that was powered by EL84's. The problem with that amp was that it broke up TOO early. I'm looking for a nice mix, but maybe there isn't one.
:(

Any opinions from Deluxe owners who have played un-miked in a full band setting?

The Scholtz-Rockman attenuator sucked and was know for blowing up amps. Try the THD HotPlate, Dr. Z Airbrake, Webber Mass - these are all fine attenuators.

• Members

I thought the DR's were only 1x12?

They are. I think you misunderstood something.

How much difference in volume would there be between the two amps.

Not much, although you would have more clean headroom with the PR. I've got a '66 Pro Reverb, and I think you need to try a real attenuator. If your PR is anything like mine, it really doesn't break up much at all until about 1/2 throttle, and that's stupid loud.

If you were to plug a Hotplate, MASS, or similar into that amp, you could easily run it at 6-8, to get a good grind going, without killing your bandmates. It's a heckuva lot easier to buy (or borrow) an attenuator to try this out, than it would be to buy a different amp. If it works, you're home. If it doesn't, you can easily sell the attenuator, and still get your DR.

If you do decide to go the DR route, get yourself a silverface, and take some of the money you saved by not buying a new RI to get it completely gone through by a competent tech. Replace the speaker while you're at it.

• Members

Originally posted by JackTheRipper

Ok...I have a 73 Pro Reverb (blackfaced) that I love for its clean sound. The problem, is that even with a drummer, another guitar player, and a bass, it's is way too loud at 5 and does not break up without pedals. I am thinking about selling this amp, and getting a Deluxe Reverb. The Pro is a hair above 40 watts into two 12's. How much difference in volume would there be between the two amps. I thought this would be a great amp for headroom & breakup (unlike the Twin), but unless there is some secret to making it break up ealier, I can only see turning it up that loud outdoors. Thanks for your help.

I use an MI Audio Tube Zone with my Twin. It gives it just the amount of dirt I need and sounds very natural.

• Members

I had the same problems with amps being to loud for certain gigs.That's why I got a variety of combos to fit the gig. Here's my solution.

100_0074.jpg

I know this isn't practial for everyone,and it took me a few years to amass my collection,but now I got all my bases covered.

• Members
Originally posted by skipstar59

I had the same problems with amps being to loud for certain gigs.That's why I got a variety of combos to fit the gig. Here's my solution.

100_0074.jpg

I know this isn't practial for everyone,and it took me a few years to amass my collection,but now I got all my bases covered.

sweet -

im a big fan of smallish combos/amps for turning up myself. im not gigging anymore (not since i broke my back at age 18) but even when i did id rather plug up something small, get the tone i want and then mic it.

especially now playing mostly at home or out back jammin with friends - ill take a smaller amp thats roaring and screaming with the volume on 6-7 over a 1/2 stack on 1-1&1/2 anyday.

Archived