Working with analog modular synthesizers...

program_insect

• Members

There are two modes that I work in when using my modular.

The first is experimental - trying to get lost in the sound, while waiting for that new sonic territory to appear unexpectedly.While patching around in this mode, I really can't expect to get much (conventional) music done, but that's fine with me because I always have a blast. :)

The second mode is when I'm actually writing a piece and have a sound in mind. This "Sound of the Minute" may be a Moog bass, a phasey-string, a PWM patch, or one of a million other sounds that are a "known" quantity. These are easy to patch up quickly and reap the benefits.

The other plus is that with the modular, creating say a desired PWM lead sound can come in different flavors. What I mean is that I can patch up the oscillators and have PWM going on, then I can try variations by trying similar settings with a Moog filter, ARP filter, or a filter with different roll-off slope, etc.The basic sound will be the same, only different. HUH!? ;)

Overall, it's very satisfying for me to use the modular, but it can indeed be more work than loading presets to get the sound one needs.

• Members
Originally posted by Moogasaur

The first is experimental - trying to get lost in the sound, while waiting for that new sonic territory to appear unexpectedly.While patching around in this mode, I really can't expect to get much (conventional) music done, but that's fine with me because I always have a blast.
:)

well stated. This is (so far) my main way of using my modular.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

You were being an ass and you derailed the thread. I put the train back.

droolmaster0: I got rid of all off-topic replies that followed. It wasn't worth to make it its own thread.

Nice - your political commentary is duly noted. If anyone derailed the thread it was the poster who inserted the bigoted remark. By your comments above you side with him.

• Members
Originally posted by Moogasaur

The first is experimental - trying to get lost in the sound, while waiting for that new sonic territory to appear unexpectedly.While patching around in this mode, I really can't expect to get much (conventional) music done, but that's fine with me because I always have a blast.
:)

The second mode is when I'm actually writing a piece and have a sound in mind. This "Sound of the Minute" may be a Moog bass, a phasey-string, a PWM patch, or one of a million other sounds that are a "known" quantity. These are easy to patch up quickly and reap the benefits.

The other plus is that with the modular, creating say a desired PWM lead sound can come in different flavors. What I mean is that I can patch up the oscillators and have PWM going on, then I can try variations by trying similar settings with a Moog filter, ARP filter, or a filter with different roll-off slope, etc.The basic sound will be the same, only different. HUH!?
;)

Overall, it's very satisfying for me to use the modular, but it can indeed be more work than loading presets to get the sound one needs.

me? i've had my modular for nearly 3 years now and i still haven't got past "experimental" mode. part of the reason for that is that i'm still growing it at a fair rate and every time some new modules get added i get distracted by fiddling around with them. many modules to go, so i think it'll be quite a long time before i get into "musical" mode.

but i've got other gear to take care of that stuff, so who cares. :D

Archived