PODXT LIVE or BOSS GT-8?

HaGa11aZ

• Members

First, the easy part. If you have or are condiering buying a Variax, the XT Live is a no brainer. It lets you edit guitar models with the Workbench software (a free download, you don't need the USB box, only to buy a VDI cable). It also can change Variax guitar models, as well as amp models and effects, with the same footswitch. It can also power the Variax, really reducing cable clutter.

Otherwise....

Both units sound good. I like the Line 6's amp models better, the effects about the same. I think the Boss has more useful presets, although I seldom use ther presets, stripping them down to the amp models and starting over.

The Boss has a lot more control felxibility. You have a "control" switch which can trigger multiple events. The expression pedal can also control a lot more parameters on the Boss than on the Pod.

Both can do just about eveything, and both have more features than I would ever need. I would take the XT Live because I prefer the amp models, but the Boss certainly can do things the XT Live can't, so you may want to see if you need its extra capabilities.

• Members

no Variax at this point, but maybe sometime in the future.

thanx for the input.

what sorts of more features you do mean bwith the GT8?

I plan on using the board I buy as a live device AND a recording device with my DAW. I have a PCI card to handle direct monitering, analog I/O, MIDI I/O, and SPDIF I/O.

in light of this new information, which do you think could handle the best performance and features with home recording using Cubase on my PC?

• Members

I've been reading up a lot on these lately (and tried out the GT8 for like 45 minutes), so here's what I've found out.

POD XT Live: Best for recording. Has the best out of the box sounds, and is easiest to use. Effects are the worst though. Without the Metal Pack, the high-gain sounds kinda suck, but with it they are really good. Generally regarded as the most digitial sounding.

GNX4: The middle of the road one. Good effects, good amp modeling, good sounds overall. More flexible and less digital sounding than the XT Live, but not as much as the GT8. Has a built-in drum machine, but apparently it's not that good.

Boss GT8: Best effects out of the 3. Extremely versatile. Very flexible. Worst amp modelling (though it can be much improved with proper EQing). Hardest to use with a deep learning curve. Presets have too much delay, reverb, and chorus. Can use the 4 cable method with an amp to get a better preamp sound.

Anyway, just to be clear I don't have personal experience with any of the amps besides the GT8, but I have done a LOT of research on them, so I hope you find my post somewhat useful.

• Members

i wonder if i can utilize the SPDIF I/O on my M-Audio Delta PCI card with any of these boards.

Yes, the board i want will DEFINATELY be used live... possibly with 2 guitarists, if that is possible.

I will use it with lots of recording as well, so I want the best recording possiblities i can get my hands on.

and great rectifying distortion drives with strong gates are definately a must, cuz i play a lot of metal.

a lot of you seem to say that the XTLive would be best for recording with a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

I saw a video of the GT-8 which which split the guitar signal into two independent channels which could them be routed to two seperate amps. I thought that was pretty cool. I wonder if the XTlive can do that as well.

I'm really trying to gather ALL the information that i can squeeze out of anything regarding these boards, before i make my final decision.

so again, thanx for all your opinions :p

• Members

I have some clips of the tonelab and GT-8 at http://inrerocknroll.blogspot.com

I am not a big fan of the Pod (I've owned the XT, played the Live) simply because it sounds like it cuts off the high frequencies at an unnatural point. This doesn't seem to be something that you can adjust away.

That said, I dig their Distortion Modeler - its fun.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

One thing I REALLY like about the XT Live for live playing is that you've got 4 channels immediately available to you, and for each you can turn on/off the amp modeling, the stomp box modeling, modulation and delay. Each of these (channels and effects) has it's own dedicated footswitch...

For live apps this is the best for me. I had an old DOD crappo multi effects unit and I hated the fact that when you had a sound dialed into a channel, that's all you could do with it, you were stuck with that one sound on that one channel, couldn't add some delay or chorus on the fly (stompbox like)...

Does the GT-8 support this? Looks like it might give you a couple of channels but it looks like it requires more tap dancing on the buttons to get things the way you want them.

• Members

you might want to consider the GNX3000 and the zoomg9. I bought a line6 before the zoom came out and i didn't really even consider the digitec=h since i've heard bad about almost all there stuff, but now i'm thinking about trading the lie6 for one of those.

Archived