I need more distortion from my SCOD...

• Members

Using it with a Ampeg V4 set clean, but girthy. Want more distortion, but don't really want to change the character of the SCOD too much. Recommendations? How about a Sagrado Poblano? Or am I going to have to go with a mild overdrive? Was kind of thinking Gainster or LTD or maybe even a El Dorado set for really low gain.

• Members

I've tried my SCOD with a Sagrado, a stock TS-9, and a Java Boost. The Sagrado was too bass heavy for my tastes, and the TS-9 didn't seem to add much when stacking with the SCOD. The Java Boost on full boost mode added some serious oomph, but it also turned my amp into an AM/FM radio.

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

with a nice clean tube head i'd always secure the following first:

dod bi-fet (doesn't matter which type, you'll never turn it off)

AND

SCP or SPP.

THEN try your SCOD !

i wonder how a RAT sounds w/ a V4...

Why 2 boosts? Isn't the Bi-Fet simply a clean boost?

• Members

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

Why 2 boosts? Isn't the Bi-Fet simply a clean boost?

clean boost with a tone control. which'll add more gain if placed before the SCOD. very good stuff (i alternate between the bifet & a bad bob).

• Members

the menatone red snapper is very good for cascading. for a while i was running it into my rat, and now im using it running into another distortion pedal that i built. it adds this nice fatness to your tone (well, the way i set it anyway)...but the great thing about the red snapper is that you can go from totally clean/transparent to fairly overdriven....and with a LOT of tone shaping capability between the cut and bite knobs. its got a ton of volume available too....unity gain is a touch under 9 o'clock.

• Members
Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

That has crossed my mind!
:D
But I'm not having much luck stacking it with my fuzz pedals.

I dont own a SCOD but

fuzz pedals cascade weird. Dunno you get unexpected results. I like to cascade other solid state pedals into my fuzz though. That I do like.
Other times,
I like to use my DS-1 sometimes the way vai uses it. Use a nice distortion for rythms and then feed the distortion unit with my DS-1 for solos. Adds presence, compression and gain (and noise, unfortunately) but keeping the same basic tone.

Archived