First time using neck pickup!

• Members

I've always used my bridge pickup (PRS McCarty) and just knifed around the mix with a lot of mids and highs and not much bass, but yesterday at band practice, my bassist asked me to switch to my neck pickup for a part. Sounded great. Very sweet. I'll be messing with my guitar tone controls and such a lot more now. We play pretty heavy, but a new song has a nice jazzy part in it, and I crank the tone control to full bassy with neck pickup and lots of amp reverb. Sounds crazy, I love it. So much to be done without any stompboxes, just makes things that much more interesting.

• Members

you are going to be spending alot of time with your guitar from now on. i found i have the neck pickup on almost all the time. adds nice bass, makes cleans sound GREAT. it i go really heavy i will use just the bridge pickup. i rewired my strat to us the bridge/neck pickup at the same time.

• Members

Originally posted by vigor&kandor

i rewired my strat to us the bridge/neck pickup at the same time.

yeah, that's a must imo.

silly Leo. :rolleyes:

welcome to the world of neck pups, varialbender. :wave:

i actually rarely use my bridge pup exclusively--usually it's 2 in tandem, the middle one, or the neck. there's so much more meat from the neck pup.

neck pup+dist=:evil:

• Members

I'm pretty new at guitar... maybe under a year?

I originally set up my tone as something more mechanical and utilitarian. It existed to cut through the mix so I could hear what I was playing as well as possible. Worked really well, but now I guess I can start thinking more in terms of 'tone' tone, and doing more work on it for live performance and integrate it into my playing.

• Members

I play clean most of the time.. and use my neck pickup for melodies/leads..

sometimes in parallel mode ..

for rhythms I tend to use the neck in parallel..

for funky/glassy things I use the middle position with the neck set to parallel (it's a 2 humbucker guitar)

for high gain leads I use the bridge pickup 75% of the time with my tone control rolled back to about 2-3

Archived