Effect to "Clean Up" Clean channel of amp?

UberXTC

• Members

I recently bought a new Splawn ProMod and I love the gain channel. The clean channel isn't very clean, as everyone knows. I was wondering if there is anything I can run in front of the amp to help clean up the clean channel that I can turn off with the gain channel?

Thanks, JC

• Members

There isn't a pedal that I know of that will "clean up" an amp. You could use a volume pedal to attenuate your guitar signal (or just roll back your guitar volume a bit). If that doesn't clean up the amp you might be stuck.

If its a tube amp and the clean channel's first gain stage is isolated from the gain channel (has its own pre-amp tube) you could replace the 12ax7 with a 5751 to lower the gain by about 25-30%.

You might think of a "clean booster" as a pedal that can help but they help push an amp into natural overdrive and do not "clean up" a dirty tone.

What type of guitar do you use? Do you use humbucker, p90, or single coil pups? What type of speakers in the amp? Posting a link or giving some details on the amp may help us help you as well.

Bb

• Members

Originally posted by UberXTC

I have a PodXT that I run in front of the am that has a "graphic eq" that I can add to the signal path. Any idea what frequencies to cut and/or boost that might help?

You need to reduce volume at the front end of your chain not cut/boost specific frequencies somewhere in between.

Ivor,

A clean boost takes your guitar signal and amplifies it (makes it louder) before hitting the front end of your amp. It does so without adding clipping (distortion or overdrive) in most cases. (however, some clean boosts also add a little grit).

What this does is hit your amp harder and pushes it into natural overdrive. Much like what a hot humbucker might do compared to a vintage single coil. It basically makes your amp create overdrive earlier.

If you've ever jumpered the inputs to an old fender tweed of 4 input marshall you get a similar effect with a clean boost pedal. It will overdrive more.

It will not clean up a dirty amp even if run below unity gain (unity gain = same volume as guitar without pedal).

When I speak of gain I speak of the volume increase or amplitude increase produced by an amplifier (pre-amp, power amp, cathode follower, etc...). This is the appropriate (laymans) definition. Engineers refer to distortion/overdrive as signal clipping.

Just food for thought.

Bb

FWIW....your mids, low mids, and lows will clip before the high frequencies. If you are hell bent on using an EQ then look around 400Hz towards 1.2KHz. Then again that is the guitars main frequency range so I would conclude that you have the wrong amp for the job if you need to do that much EQ surgery. Maybe you just need another amp for your clean tones and an A/B switch.

• Members

What about trying different tubes in the preamp section of the clean channel? Are the seperate in that amp? There gotta be a way to clean it up.

I wouldn't buy an amp if the clean channel wasn't clean. I don't care how good the drive channel is. That was my exact problem when I was shopping for a new amp. I could find many with killer drive channels only to find the clean channel all jacked up.

Difficult task. I wish you good luck cleaning up that channel. Do you have a good amp modder in your area? Maybe someone can modify the clean channel and help you out?

Post how you cleaned it up if you can

Dan

• Members

There's a couple things you can TRY. Use a volume pedal, and cleaning it up that way would be a choice.

Also, an EQ pedal, mostly to lower the volume, again, would work.

Or just the guitar's volume, but that's so boring!

If you find that the amp only dirties up when you play extra hard. (Like a crackle effect, or something,) then you might want to try a compressor just so those extra spikes that cause the distortion "crackle" are flattened out. I doubt that's your problem, though.

There's plenty of options, either way you go. It's mostly all about lowering/controlling the gain (or really, volume) being pushed into the amp.

Are you using a single coils or humbuckers? You'd clean up a lot easier with singer coils, but that's a no brainer. :)

Anyways, after you clean up and get out of rehab, remember that relapse is a part of recovery! I mean. What subject are we talking about again? :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by Ivor The Engine Driver

Try a clean boost.

What it does, as I understand it, is it boosts the clean-ness of the tone, and thus minimizes the gain characteristics. The Tubescreamer is an excellent example.

Bwahahaha.
:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by W.Kyle.C

I have never done it so i don't know from experience but i have heard that if you replace the 12ax7 with a 12au7 it will increase the clean headroom since the 12ax7 breaks up much faster than the 12au7.

Yeah, any lower gain tube will help. 12at7, 12ay7, 12au7. Even a 5751.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by W.Kyle.C

I have never done it so i don't know from experience but i have heard that if you replace the 12ax7 with a 12au7 it will increase the clean headroom since the 12ax7 breaks up much faster than the 12au7.

+1000000

• Members

WOuld changing the preamp tubes effect the drive channel? Are they seperated for both channels??

I think my Fender Twin amp used seperate 12ax7's for both channels then the drive channel used a 12at7 not a 12ax7. I probably could have used a 12ax7 and got better gain out of that amp....

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by Dmantis

WOuld changing the preamp tubes effect the drive channel? Are they seperated for both channels??

I think my Fender Twin amp used seperate 12ax7's for both channels then the drive channel used a 12at7 not a 12ax7. I probably could have used a 12ax7 and got better gain out of that amp....

Dan

I believe most amps use different pre-amp tubes for the different channels. If you just change the v1 to a 12au/t/y7 it should clean it up.

• Members

There is not a seperate pre amp tube for the clean channels gain stage on the Splawn. So changing one of them to a 12AU7 would affect the gain channel and I wouldn't want to touch that cause that is where this amp shines!

• Members
Originally posted by Bb

You might think of a "clean booster" as a pedal that can help but they help push an amp into natural overdrive and do not "clean up" a dirty tone.

Originally posted by Ivor The Engine Driver

Try a clean boost.

What it does, as I understand it, is it boosts the clean-ness of the tone, and thus minimizes the gain characteristics. The Tubescreamer is an excellent example.

hahahahaha :love: :love:

• Members

I could be mistaken, but couldnt you put a clean boost between the power amp and the pre amp? This is what to solo switch does on my rectoverb. As long as you arent playing so loud that the power tubes are distorting, you should get more clean volume. I could be completely wrong, however. I dont even know if it is possible with that amp.

Archived