Pete Cornish Tape Echo Simulator

sub rosa

• Members

Looks like a Boss DD-3 rehoused with a bit of Pete's magic. Not sure I could part with that kind of money for a modified DD-3. Unless it comes with an amp;)

I've played a $800 Pete overdrive box (SS-1?) and I have to admit Pete adds some magic. It sounded great. But I can buy a very good amp for $800 or less.

To place in perspective I can buy a Carr Hammerhead amp or 2 Emery sound Superbaby amps (handmade) for the price of this pedal ($1,500....ouch). Not to mention a real tape delay is about $500 less (Fulltone TTE).

Why buy a tape simulator for that kind of scratch when you can get the real deal for $500 less. Makes no sense to me but its his money.

My 2 cents,

Bb

• Members

Originally posted by Bb

Why buy a tape simulator for that kind of scratch when you can get the real deal for $500 less. Makes no sense to me but its his money.

My 2 cents,

Bb

the whole idea behind it is that it's an electronic device that takes a LOT of abuse before failing.

anyone who's owned a tape delay knows the deal on how much abuse THOSE things can take...= not much.

i'm sure that thing would work if you dropped it off the back of a truck. anyone want to wager their Roland Space Echo to that test?

:D

but i agree - Cornish gear is overpriced, basically because he builds everything one at a time with no help and he can charge whatever he wants per hour.

i mean, christ - for that kind of scratch, don't you think he could make the base unit out of an SIB echodrive, a Delayla, or a T-Rex?

you wonder...what's the magic mojo inside a DD3? why that one?

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

the whole idea behind it is that it's an electronic device that takes a LOT of abuse before failing.

anyone who's owned a tape delay knows the deal on how much abuse THOSE things can take...= not much.

i'm sure that thing would work if you dropped it off the back of a truck. anyone want to wager their Roland Space Echo to that test?

but i agree - Cornish gear is overpriced, basically because he builds everything one at a time with no help and he can charge whatever he wants per hour.

i mean, christ - for that kind of scratch, don't you think he could make the base unit out of an SIB echodrive, a Delayla, or a T-Rex?

Man, what are you talking about?!

Haven't you seen that picture, man?

Peter Cornish is {censored}ing Phoney Baloney!

• Members

Originally posted by stompboxx

Ok, I will sell someone a rehoused DD-3 in a bullet proof box for $1,000.

Please form an orderly queue.

i'd look for a pic of the inside circuits before i make a claim about that.

i've seen some of this other stuff based off of retail pedals, but behind the board is where the real work is.

again - i can't justify the prices, but then again, i'm not on the road for months at a time where i absolutely can't have my gear break down - and that's basically what Cornish does.

makes bulletproof boutique top shelf gear to personal tastes.

*shrugs*

have fun if you can afford it.

i can't even afford a Memory Lane.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

I would never suggest gigging an old echoplex. I actually toured with echoplexes (3, needed back-ups) and a 1965 AC30. I spent over $5K to maintain these for one year.

That said, I own a Fulltone TTE and it has seen about 30 gigs. I mentioned the TTE because so far it has proven to be very reliable and road worthy....provided it is cased.

I don't own any Peavey gear so none of my gear would survive a fall of the back of a truck. I also find it safe to assume none of your gear would either;)

I would agree that Pete's pedals could probably survive being dropped from 20K feet.

However, my TTE did fall about 5 feet to the pavement. Fortunately I have ATA cases for all my gear and it survived unharmed.

None of my equipment's origional cases would survive the road without ATA cases. Test, place a strat in it's origional hard shell case. Take out to the driveway and stand on the end with the body closest to the ground (headstock looking at the stars). Push over the case (lightly). Within 20~40 attempts you should have shattered headstock and created some nice firewood.

This is how most guitars break when checked on airlines.

I'm an analog delay junkie but the one digital delay I do like is the DD-3. I haven't tried some of the new digital delays but the one I do like is the DD-3. So it seems like it might be a good baseline for mods. But what could Pete do for the additional $1,350?

Yes, you are paying for a name. Bottom line is he can charge anything he wants. Give Pete the credit for putting himself in a position to charge what he wants, build what he wants, and when he wants to do it. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need my business and at this point it he does it for fun and silly money.

If you've ever owned your own business to be in a position to tell difficult customers to "fly a kite" is a great place to be.

Do I have a point?

I recommend the TTE as a viable and reliable (as far a tape echos can be) touring tool. It needs to be placed in a true ATA case if others are handling it. This isn't any different than any of my other gear.

It doesn't shred tape and is easy to maintain (tape changes and degauss). Built like a tank compared to the echoplexes I owned (Solid state echoplexes).

But yeh....for $1.5K to hell with pedals....think of the amp you could buy.....your 80% on your way to a Carr Slant V6 maybe even a Fuch's ODS30...:D

Bb

• Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

Indeed, it's the roadworthiness of his gear.

Still, I'd be hard pressed to jusitify that sort of coin.

What is "roadworthiness"?

I gig, tour, record...etc...

For me it needs to not break down. Never had a DD-3 break down on me. Fact, never had any pedal fart out one me....never some I've owned for over 20 years. Not luck, just the nature of design in pedal electronics.

For me the key to roadworthiness is CASES!!!!!

Pete could house that thing in thin pane glass and it would be road worthy...because its in a pedal board case!!!!

By the way....DD-3 = &125, pedal board (ATA) case at worst costs $300.

Roadworthiness of Pete's pedals is a weak argument to justify costs.

If your touring with Pete Cornish pedals in a backpack I would suggest you could find the cash to get a pedal board case.

I simply think Pete can do what he wants, when he wants, and can charge whatever price he wants. He earned his reputation and you pay for it. He has my respect and admiration a a businessman but...he ain't getting my coin.

Bb

FWIW....just about anything can be made road worthy provided it is placed in a case.

• Members

Originally posted by Bb

That said, I own a Fulltone TTE and it has seen about 30 gigs. I mentioned the TTE because so far it has proven to be very reliable and road worthy....provided it is cased.

that's not much of a solution, and the TTE isn't available very easily (they haven't made that many), just like Cornish gear. you're basically pitting two corksniffer brands against one another, saying one is more pragmatic than the other, when they're both pretty unpragmatic for average working players. if you can afford either unit, chances are you aren't smarting too much from the extra $300 the other one costs.

I don't own any Peavey gear so none of my gear would survive a fall of the back of a truck. I also find it safe to assume none of your gear would either;)

yes, it actually would. i used to be in a garage rock band where the singer/guitarist would end each set by jamming his Mustang's headstock into a 6x12 cab, toppling the peavey head off the back. one night, on a smaller stage where the bass rig was just behind his amp, he hit it so hard, his amp went back into the bass rig which toppled and sent the bass player's peavey head off of those cabs OVER the back of the stage which was another 3 feet off of the floor.

all survived, along with countless other Boss pedals that have been kicked, stomped, dropped, etc.

most survive.

Cornish gear is built to those kinds of shock levels. You're TTE may be stout inside a flight case, but i'd put my money on the Cornish every time.

But yeh....for $1.5K to hell with pedals....think of the amp you could buy.....your 80% on your way to a Carr Slant V6 maybe even a Fuch's ODS30...

Bb

again - people that buy Cornish {censored} that actually need it, probably already have amps that leave corksniffing gear like Carr and Fuch's amps in the dust.

personally, i'd never buy any of the brands mentioned here today because most of the clubs i play wouldn't be able to bring the nuances out of gear like that anyway. they use mid-line mics, regular cables, Crown and QSC amps and mutt PA cabs.

why worry about the sound of your $3000 amp when the mojo could get ruined by a sketchy mic cable, blown horn or fuzzy channel on the board?

i'm sure they sound great in the studio though.

• Members

and to state again - it's not JUST the roadworthiness of the gear - it's that he builds each one to personal spec for whoever he's building.

if whoever's paying him to make a DD3 variant that does a self-oscillating signal that winds out with a sort of comb filtering sound, then that's what they get.

just saying...

• Members

Originally posted by Tony Legnetti

Of course it does man!

L-o-o-k at the p-i-c-t-u-r-e !

Would you get a haircut from a Clown?

It's well established that one should always have one's hair cut by the hairdresser with the worst hair in the salon. Because they do everyone else's.

• Members

put aside that 1500 dollars, there are numerous builders that could build that thing for you.

it's a dd3, with a variable cap put after the repeats(ala tweak fuzz, but only on the repeats). same exact thing keeley does, but adds a few more options, and rehouses it.

I'd rather have a dd-20, really.

• Members

Just for the record, it is a Boss DD-2 rehoused, not a DD-3 (the first post mentioned this). The DD-2 is out of production, and sounds better than the DD-3 because Boss used different chips in it's design.

Still, is it worth $1,500?

Not to me, but people buy them.

Then again some people collect cars and paintings instead of guitars and little multicolored boxes. :D

Archived