Patch Cables

• Members

Bill, Becky and Shannon Lawrence provide a reasonably priced, low capacitance solderless patch cable that you easily cut to length and build yourself. They have short barreled plugs so that you can use the patch cable in very tight applications. Overall, it is very durable and of high quality. They also include the required allen-wrench with every order. Look here;

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Connector_Cable.htm

:thu:

• Members

We offer two plugs --Long (see picture below) and Short. The Long Plug is for guitar and the Short Plug is for Pedal Board.

Bill wanted to offer an option for the Pedal Board that functioned properly and is affordably priced. ( Bill completed the push-on right angle plug design years ago but for a push-on right angle plug to function properly and stay connected, it would be double the price than our current options. See our incredibly low prices at bottom of page.) Since Bill's cable has it's own natural flexibilty, when assembled with the Short Plug, a right angle naturally forms.

from the website... although they dont offer a right angle plug, it sounds like the short barrelled plug would do space saving trick just fine..good prices too

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Just buy some decent cable - Sommer Spirit is the best I've found - and some good jack plugs - I like the Neutriks - and make your own. Doesn't take long and they'll be as good quality as or better than anything you can buy.

+1 ! :thu:

• Members

I would've thought it makes sense to have the quality of your patch cables match the quality of your regaular cables. I had 2 10fts and 4 12" mogami cable with G&H plugs made for me ~$80. I noticed a huge difference in tone and noise compared to the cheap $15 store cables I had before. Try going back after a month or so and you'll know the investment was worth it.

• Members

I use Evidence Audio for my guitar and speaker cables. For my pedalboard, I use George L's because they have easy connectors that are right angle and they can be built and installed very easily, especially if you are routing them underneath the board.

Most importantly however, they sound good and that is the final determining factor.
pedalboard3.jpg

• Members

I didn't realize how much my tone was suffering until I bought a looper box and ran all my effects through it. The tone loss was so significant that I ordered new quality cables the same day (after owning and being happy with the previous cheapies for 15 years). No when I bypass there is no loss in signal at all. If I had known how dramatic the tone loss was I would of done it years ago.

• Members

Patch cables do make a difference. The are a lot of choices to choose from. In terms of quality on a normal pedal board with not much space bettween pedals, here's how I would rank order cable:

1. Evidence Audio Melody
2. Lava ELC
3. Klotz
4. Sommer Spirit
5. Canare GS-6
6. Mogami 2524
7. Canare GS-4
8. George L's
9. Gotham GAC-1

Now, if your pedals are on the floor and space is not so much of an issue the Evidence Audio Lyric HG is the best cable out there IMO.

Everyone's ear is a little different, but having good cable throughout your whole chain can make make a huge, positive difference in your tone and the responsiveness of your amp.

If you have any more qusestions just email me at mark@lavacable.com

Archived