All you people with a schmillion and a half pedals...

• Members

27 on my board... and each one of them is on at least 2 songs out of 12... I use my stuff a lot for the studio too... but they still get used live as well... I'm not even that experimental... but I use tones of Fuzz and modulation.

-TJK

• Members

I never understood how people can use that many pedals. I started using ONE delay pedal. It get used maybe 4 times in a 7 song set. One is for a noise floor in a break.

EDIT: I may be adding a second delay so I don't have to reach down and change the one I have now. I also might add a boost of some sort so I can use a lower gain distortion then boost it for the couple heavier parts.

• Members

Originally posted by i51423

I never understood how people can use that many pedals. I started using ONE delay pedal. It get used maybe 4 times in a 7 song set. One is for a noise floor in a break.

EDIT: I may be adding a second delay so I don't have to reach down and change the one I have now. I also might add a boost of some sort so I can use a lower gain distortion then boost it for the couple heavier parts.

it's like a gateway drug...

• Members

As a member of the schmillion club . . . it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're playing blues or rockabilly - maybe you need one pedal? Maybe none at all - I just saw Junior Brown - his rig: GuitSteel to volume pedal to blackface twin reverb on 11 - sounded amazing. If you're playing Pink Floyd covers or U2 . . . a schmillion may be necessary. I find that I don't use too many pedals at a time, but when I get into a rut, changing some pedals out or running a realy strange set-up can make sounds that inspire a new approach to playing something.

• Members

I try to find PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS for all of my pedals. Of course, tweaking crazy sounds with different effects in different areas of the chain is very fun and inspiring.

Lately, I've been in love with my Boss PH-3 Phaser. I'm still trying to figure out all the stuff I can do with my Boss PS-5 Phase Shifter.

• Members

Oh, I don't use them all. But they're all "necessary" for different things.

I used to have several schmillion pedals, now I'm down to a couple schmillion.

It's all good. They're fun to have. They're not necessary by any means, but it all depends on what you're trying to do. Most of the time I only have one or two plugged in at a time.

• Members

Originally posted by kiki_90291

As a member of the schmillion club . . . it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're playing blues or rockabilly - maybe you need one pedal? Maybe none at all - I just saw Junior Brown - his rig: GuitSteel to volume pedal to blackface twin reverb on 11 - sounded amazing. If you're playing Pink Floyd covers or U2 . . . a schmillion may be necessary. I find that I don't use too many pedals at a time, but when I get into a rut, changing some pedals out or running a realy strange set-up can make sounds that inspire a new approach to playing something.

sheesh

that about says it all

izagreez

• Members

It depends on what you're after. I like a couple of different distortion/overdrive sounds so I need a couple of pedals. i also want some trippy sounds for jam band type music so I grabbed some good modulation pedals. And everyone needs a to keep a good delay and wah handy for leads and funk stuff.

so it's pretty easy to get near the schmillion mark.

• Members
Originally posted by YourHerodDGC

Do you really need all that to create the music you want?

NOPE BUT....Let me ask you this.
Why would you shag just one woman IF you could shag all of them?
:D :D :D :D :D
:wave:

• Members

attention people with four or more distortion pedals... do you really need all those distortion sounds?

yes. TS9 is always on. Rat is my mild distortion. Muff is my heavy distortion. And FF is for weird distortion or weird lead. To tell you the truth, i'm still figuring it out, and i don't even use that yet.

I think my question was geared more to people who just play to write music. And i guess it's just me, but i feel like a lot of modulation just isn't necesarry. But now that i think about it, my philosophy with writing music is that the simplest is usually the best.

I see a lot of massive pedal boards around here, and i can't imagine that all of the pedals are even used. Like a person like John Fruscante. He has like a schmillion boards, each containing a schmillion pedals. Now, i don't own any chili peppers albums, but from what i've heard on the radio, he doesn't really use all that.

Archived