All you people with a schmillion and a half pedals...

• Members

I've got about a schmillion on my bass effects board and will probably have about 1.5 to 2 schmillion on the guitar board if I ever get around to building it (right now I'm still learning the programming for my Peavey TubeFex). Then there are several schmillion more in the drawers...

Yes, I do use the ones that are on my board. Bass Chorus is handy for modern tones. The EQs and Limiter are just good for most things. The volume pedal is great for swells or just adjusting a level. The distortion, delay, wah and auto-wah are mostly for fun, but I'd feel lost without them.

• Members

I own 13 pedals and want more. I don't normally use more than 3 at any given time. I've got 4 guitars and 2 amps and want more of them as well. I get bored easily.

• Members

Last month I had 4 delays on my board. This month I've got 4 pedals total. I tend to fluctuate between wanting lots of different flavors and just wanting what I'll realistically use. I haven't found my middle ground yet.

• Members
Originally posted by YourHerodDGC

Do you really need all that to create the music you want?

actually to create in way that i do yes. but my
roots were in csn&y accoustic group when i
was 18 years old, so i play a lot with nary a
pedal, i was a purist for years, but lovepedal
and others have taken me to the dark side!:evil:

i phucken luv pedals, so shut yer trap! i was
almost killed by immigrants today, i thought i
looked mexican, but they thought i was arab:eek: must be the sicilian nose!:freak:

• Members
Originally posted by ice house

must be the sicilian nose!
:freak:

i thought they banned using silican for nose implants...

whew.... is the heat on?

worst. pun. ever. :o

yes i need em to make the music i want but without em i'd still make music.

• Members

I have a jizzillion pedals. I use mainly three though: OD-Dist ( i must have 2 dozen of those), Chorus (probably 6 or 7), and If the amp dosent have it, a Reverb pedal (Boss RV-5 or a Holy Grail).
Lots of sounds in that type rig.
That being said, I have cartloads of pedals dating back to the early 1970's and I do use them on occasion.
But, I'm one of those ass holes who has and has had all kinds ov "vintage" sought after gear in the day when noone knew people would be pining over it now and still have almost all of it. But who is totaly sold on the moddeling thing. I love my Valvetronix 120 watt head and my Line6 XT Live too

• Members

hmm... At my peak, I was running into a wah, comp, boost, overdrive, volume, phaser, tremolo and delay. I loved it, but when playing live, I found I couldn't move about enough as I was too tied to the board. Now I'm in a different band (soul/funk) and I'm down to wah, comp, overdrive and phaser. When playing at church I add a delay to the mix.
I reckon that I'm a better player now, and could still do all the things I was doing before in the old band with less pedals and move about more. I'd like to get more pedals, but for the moment I think I'm trying to get better versions of what I've got already. And another amp.

• Members

I'm not calling anyone out or anything, or implying anything negative about people who do use so many pedals. I was just curious

maybe i shouldn't comment, since i only use 5, but here's where you start acquiring them...

i think I, like a lot of guys here, probably write the base riffs and hooks with just their clean sound, or maybe an overdrive on, and then as they go, begin applying FX for textures and such.

when i'm writing a song with my guys, i start out clean and find the notes and the range, then kick on a delay for a bit to flesh it out, and after a basic arrangement is made, we break fora while and i start thinking about unique textures to use - filter, vibe, or even a sample, etc.

when i'm on my own, i experiment with as many textures as i can until i hear 'that special something" that i think makes the sound unique.

sometimes you have to add a pedal to the board to get and keep that special sound.

i think that's how a lot of guys end up with these gargantuan boards - because most of us don't use rack processors.

some boards i see i go "holy crap - i'd never be able to play because i'd be searching for the pedal i need to turn on next!"

i think when it gets to that point, you might want to consider a rack.

but that's just a generalized opinion.

• Members

I remember jamming with Stompboxx a couple of times, and we'd set up various pedals and start writing around them. For example - fuzz into a whammy set to octave (or2) down into a seek wah. 1 song intro. If you have those pedals I command you to go and try those settings now!! Lots of fun.

• Members

I went from 11 pedals down to 6 in one day. Big change of approach.
No more pedals upfront. Only spatial and an EQ in the loop. Done. I realized that I liked my recorded tone so much better, and what was the clue? I only record straight in, and put on FX later in mixing. So this the next best thing for live.

• Members

as far as day-to-day playing, and also playing with a band, I only use 1 pedal...a zvex super duper.

this has been like this for almost a year now....especialy when playing with a band.

I occasionaly throw delay in...but actualy not that often either.

I used to have a big setup...about 8-10 pedals...delays, envelope filters, fuzz pedals, treble boosters, chorus etc etc etc....and I'd spend more time on my knees twiddling knobs, instead of actualy playing.

so for me, pedals just end up being distracting.

by using only the super duper, I have also solved various problems...such as:

"the perfect pedalboard" - I don't need one, since I only play with one pedal

"the perfect/best powersupply that can power 9V, 12V, 18V, etc" - I don't need one...I use a 9 Volt battery

"the best patch cables" - I don't need any, I got only one pedal

"the best boost" - I like the SHO...the super duper is 2 SHOs in 1 ;)

"signal loss" - no signal loss, thanks to 1 pedal in the chain, plus the fact it's a SHO mosfet circuit that gives me sparkle.

The above epiphany is a welcome addition to my last years epiphany "there's no way I'll ever find a perfect fuzz" so I stopped ruinning my life by trying, and since have been way happier.

If I wanna wail, I do keep a French Toast in my drawer ;)

• Members

yes. TS9 is always on. Rat is my mild distortion. Muff is my heavy distortion. And FF is for weird distortion or weird lead. To tell you the truth, i'm still figuring it out, and i don't even use that yet.

I think my question was geared more to people who just play to write music. And i guess it's just me, but i feel like a lot of modulation just isn't necesarry. But now that i think about it, my philosophy with writing music is that the simplest is usually the best.

Perhaps looking at your own system in comparison to other folk's equipment that is yet more spare would give you a useful analogy to understand those with more complex systems than yours

Archived