Bad Monkey owners... a question

cvogue

• Members

I'm using the BM as a lead boost on an already crunchy amp. It sounds very good to a point... but as notes decay I get a nasty fizziness.

Do you get that too? I think it's worse with the "amp" output, might be better using the "mixer" output but I didn't get a chance to try it out a lot last night.

Thanks for any info.

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Run more volume and less gain on the pedal. Also try cutting the treble a little.

Pete

Thanks Pete, yeah tried that... gain was at 0 and level was cranked, backed off the level a bit as well as the treble but it was still there.

Wondering if it's defective, still gotta try it with anthoer amp/cables/battery too...

Just wondering if other BM owners have seen this.

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

sounds like you have a voice coil going out on your speaker. maybe.

Think the speak's are OK... doesn't happen without the BM engaged... although that means the BM frequencies aren't coming through and those could be the ones causing the speaker to emit fizz!

Have to troubleshoot it more.

• Members

Originally posted by CicadaSilence

That fizz is why I got a Blackstone.

Interesting! Nobody else seems to have the BM fizz problem... what's the rest of your rig like?

Thanks!

• Members

At the time I was using the BM, I was using my "Bastard Caster" (30" scale Strat, tuned an octave down) into the following:

Bad Monkey
DOD Milkbox
Experimentalists Anonymous Parallel Universe
Digitech PDS 8000
Digitech Digiverb
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flange
Line 6 DL4

All that ran into either a Fender '59 Reissue Bassman or an Ampeg SVT IV Pro.

Just before I got rid of the BM, I cut it down to the delays, reverb, and overdrive. The Bad Monkey still fizzed.

I think that the situation is that everyone's ears are different. I've heard that annoying high end fizzy decay on just about every OD I've tried so far. It's just something that sticks out like a sore thumb to me and may or may not even be even noticable to others.

I'm sure there are other overdrives the don't fizz, but I stopped looking when I found the Blackstone. I'm completely happy with it. Theres a pretty in-depth explanation of what distortion is, and why it does what it does, where the desirable/undesirable characteristics come in, etc on the Blackstone website. Good for a (slighty dry) read, if nothing else.

• Members
Originally posted by CicadaSilence

At the time I was using the BM, I was using my "Bastard Caster" (30" scale Strat, tuned an octave down) into the following:

Bad Monkey

DOD Milkbox

Experimentalists Anonymous Parallel Universe

Digitech PDS 8000

Digitech Digiverb

TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flange

Line 6 DL4

All that ran into either a Fender '59 Reissue Bassman or an Ampeg SVT IV Pro.

Just before I got rid of the BM, I cut it down to the delays, reverb, and overdrive. The Bad Monkey still fizzed.

I think that the situation is that everyone's ears are different. I've heard that annoying high end fizzy decay on just about every OD I've tried so far. It's just something that sticks out like a sore thumb to me and may or may not even be even noticable to others.

I'm sure there are other overdrives the don't fizz, but I stopped looking when I found the Blackstone. I'm completely happy with it. Theres a pretty in-depth explanation of what distortion is, and why it does what it does, where the desirable/undesirable characteristics come in, etc on the Blackstone website. Good for a (slighty dry) read, if nothing else.

Thanks CS! Sorry to bug you with the PM... :o:D

I'll go check out the Blackstone site.

• Members

Yeah, I did read one other review mentioning fizziness. I've also been asking forumites for several days to compare the amp out with the mixer out into a Boss digital delay, to see if the mixer voicing cuts the tinniness. The zero response is giving me a very bad vibe about how few here really own one of those Monkeys: Digitech cronies at work? (Yeah, sarcastic, but with good reason.)

• Members

Hmm... I don't think it's the pedal. I tried it through my Zoom PS-02 headphone amp/studio thing and no fizz at all. For some of the sounds it sounded really nice!

So I'm thinking it's a cable or (gulp!) my Classic 50 head... Don't have the C50 here at home so have to wait until next week. it did give me a nice "oomph" and great sustain with the C50, if I can just get rid of the fizziness it will RAWK!!!

Hoping it's a cable...

• Members
Originally posted by cvogue

Thanks Pete, yeah tried that... gain was at 0 and level was cranked, backed off the level a bit as well as the treble but it was still there.

Wondering if it's defective, still gotta try it with anthoer amp/cables/battery too...

Just wondering if other BM owners have seen this.

It's not defective, it's cheap...I told you guys, but ya didn't listen, now look, thread after thread about the pitfalls of the "bad" monkey.

:p

• Members
Originally posted by SeeMoore

It's not defective, it's cheap...I told you guys, but ya didn't listen, now look, thread after thread about the pitfalls of the "bad" monkey.

It is inexpensive but it worked well with other gear. Just hoping it's not my amp...:(

• Members

It is inexpensive but it worked well with other gear. Just hoping it's not my amp...
:(

If it is the amp, maybe its just the speaker.

Have ya tried it with the pedal out of the chain?

• Members

It is inexpensive but it worked well with other gear. Just hoping it's not my amp...
:(

Some pedal and amp combinations just simply dont work.......Might be the case here....

• Members
Originally posted by Lorax

Some pedal and amp combinations just simply dont work.......Might be the case here....

I hope not... but it might be. :( Won't be able to tell until next week.

Anybody know what the Guitar Center exchange policy is? Bought it on 4/15

• Members
Originally posted by SeeMoore

thats curious.

according to Keith Barr (president & co-founder of MXR), the Phase90 came about when, "I sat down and figured out how i could make the absolute cheapest phase shifter possible." (quoted from the "AM guide to vintage fx")

absolute cheapest.

curious, to say the least.

Archived