Taking apart a Fuzz Probe

• Members

I saw a pic here once where someone had taken apart their Fuzz Probe and mounted it on their board as two separate pieces, the stompbox and the copper plate. I'd like to do the same thing for my board, but don't want to damage the pedal in the process of breaking it out into its two components... It would be nice to be able to put it back the way it was if I ever wanted to sell it (not that I would ever dream of doing such a stupid thing...).

Anyone know how this can be done? It's built pretty solidly and things seem to be glued together somewhat permanently...

JB

• Members

I'd be hard pressed to take a risk like that and take it apart......I might never get to use my Fuzz Probe again. :cry:

I love my Fuzz Probe. That one pedal on my board has convinced a ton of people to go out and get one or a Fuzz Factory.

• Members

Ok, this is radical. IF you had room underneath your pedalboard (like under a tier or maybe if it's sloped)....you could disconnect the leads from the copper plate to the pedal, and get a new copper plate which you'll mount directly to your board, and wire back into the actual probe guts. Hide the probe and all it's plexiglass under your board or wherever you can, and get a simple TB box to activate/deactive the effect. Of course, the *actual* probe would be on at all times, just use the tb box to bring it into/out of your chain.

Wow, I hope that made sense. About halfway though I thought to myself, why bother, you're not going to gain anything by going to the lengths I've suggested...but I also realized that doing what the OP wants to do is pretty sensless in and of itself, so why not?! :freak:

• Members

48729zjd is right, thanks for that info - it was gappie's board where I saw this done before. well... his floor, to be precise:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14573272&highlight=gappie#post14573272
(scroll up a little bit)

I'm just interested in the flexibility it may give me on my board space-wise, as senseless as it may seem... ;)

gappie, if you're out there, how'd you do it without wrecking the probe's parts?

• Members

well, i did it because i used some contact spray for the switch of the trem probe. ten minutes after that the plexy of the probe was in ten pieces because the spray had reacted with the paint. so that one was easy to get apart :)

but i liked it so much with the plate lower that i decided to do it also with the wah probe but without distroying the plexy.

it is fairly easy. the copper plate is sticked with some clue stuff to the plexy. get it of carefully without getting tension on the wire. the wire is sticked on the copper plate with some silverpaper stuff. get that of also carefully. get the thread trough the plexy and unmount the box itself. and get the parts together again. i mounted the copper plate with some velcro on my board.

be shure that there are no things to close that react with the field of the copper plate, making it useless for the movements of your foot.
it did give me a bit more space. but that was not why i did it.

:)

Archived