OT: Please explain the movie

ZJD

• Members

I thought it was pretty easy to follow even if you're not a fan of the game. The scene towards the end when she finds the girl explains everything. The town is basically a nightmare/purgatory. It had it's moments, but overall I still wanted my $7 back. :)

• Members

I'm about to spoil this movie for people who haven't seen it.

First off, the visuals of this movie were amazing. Second, all the music (except for the song during the credits) were all from the games.

Okay, the whole idea was that they all die during their accidents. The mom and daughter die. The police officer died when she hit the railing. When they showed her bike and the mangled guard rail, you were supposed to understand that the police officer went over the cliff in the real world. And because she died and she is in the same "dimension" as the mom and daughter, they died too. They are ghosts trapped inbetween heaven and hell (remember the hop skotch that had Hell at the bottom and Heaven on top?). The daughter was destined to come back to Silent Hill to free the torment and "take care of business." Also, you can tell they are ghosts because the husband can sense his wife's presence, but she is obviously not there.

The movie is a mixture of all four of the games. But the plot is basically the same.

Let me know if this doesn't explain.

• Members

Originally posted by beezdeez

There won't be a second one. At least not based off that movie.

The guy with the sword wasn't anyone whose character was relevant to understanding the movie. He is an enemy from the games though. He just {censored}s people up... that's all.

Actually, Pyramidhead is a reflection of the protagonist in the 2nd Silent Hill. Its a reflection of his anger to his ex-wife, how he feels like less of a man because of his situation and his repressed sexuality. You can tell after thinking of the times where he sees him the in game, for example the first time he sees him behind a grate (looks like he's looking through a mirror), and when he's raping the nurse corpse and ripping her apart in the kitchen sink in the apartment.

Silent Hill is an amazing game. The 2nd one is one of my top 3 favorite games of all time.

• Members

Yeah, see I've only played part of the first one. What I was saying was pertaining more to the movie. He really didn't have any relevance in the movie that I could grasp. I knew he was from the games, but I didn't know what he was all about in the games. But in the movie, from what I could tell, he just {censored}s people up. :D

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

Actually, Pyramidhead is a reflection of the protagonist in the 2nd Silent Hill. Its a reflection of his anger to his ex-wife, how he feels like less of a man because of his situation and his repressed sexuality. You can tell after thinking of the times where he sees him the in game, for example the first time he sees him behind a grate (looks like he's looking through a mirror), and when he's raping the nurse corpse and ripping her apart in the kitchen sink in the apartment.

Silent Hill is an amazing game. The 2nd one is one of my top 3 favorite games of all time.

that's what bothers me about silent hill. it's more fun to talk about than it is to play or watch.

my brother just finished beating the second one, i didn't get to see the end, but it seemed cool.

and just for the record, the song at the end of the movie was from the 3rd silent hill game.

i thought the movie looked and sounded awesome, too, but i didn't really like it over all. the church scenes were kind of lame.

you just don't get any sense of reward watching her walk around like nothing's a problem. not that i want to watch a movie of some stupid chick having to run around looking for keys and solving stupid puzzles all day, but the games are more fun than the movie was if you ask me.

and she didn't once smack a dog with a pipe. that should be required.

• Members
Originally posted by Bernie Franks

Thanks for the explanation, beezdeez. I wasn't really sure what the hell happened at the end of the movie.
:)

No problem. I saw this movie with my girlfriend. She had no clue what was going on either.

After seeing so many movies, you learn that there are no mistakes in movies. Every scene, sound, object, etc. has a purpose. Whether it's to set a mood, or foreshadow, or hint to an answer for your questions. You just have to look at things carefully. I think the hop skotch thing drawn on the concrete when she was walking into the one building was key to the movie. At first I was like what is that for... but then you start to learn that it was there to explain that they are caught between heaven and hell. They are dead. They aren't on earth. But they aren't in the afterlife either.

• Members

I also didn't like her acting in most parts. She was just too... blah. She did okay acting terrified when the sirens went off, but other than that I didn't like her acting.

Thanks for pointing out that the song in the credits is from one of the games. I did not know that. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by beezdeez

I also didn't like her acting in most parts. She was just too... blah. She did okay acting terrified when the sirens went off, but other than that I didn't like her acting.

Thanks for pointing out that the song in the credits is from one of the games. I did not know that.
:thu:

i liked how she looked all bloody at the end though. funny how she got hotter as things got worse, but that's hollywood.

• Members

The problem with the video game is that it was basically a {censored}ty resident evil imitation. I can't imagine the movie would be that good, but then again, when's the last time something's really scared you? For me, it's been quite a while, and I wa smuch younger than I am now.

• Members

It's one of those movies I'll have to watch again on DVD just to go over the things I missed.

BTW, what kind of siren was that? Like it sounded like a dooms day siren but a little diff...:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Soloman Grundy

that's what bothers me about silent hill. it's more fun to talk about than it is to play or watch.

I don't know about that. I was GLUED to it for days on end (Silent Hill 2). My ex at the time kept complaining that I was spending too much time with it. She sat down one day and watched me play it. 30 minutes later she was curled up next to me, totally into the game.....staring at the screen, she couldn't take her eyes off of it.

That game {censored}s with your head, and makes you want to continue on at the same time. Its brilliant.

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

I don't know about that. I was GLUED to it for days on end (Silent Hill 2). My ex at the time kept complaining that I was spending too much time with it. She sat down one day and watched me play it. 30 minutes later she was curled up next to me, totally into the game.....staring at the screen, she couldn't take her eyes off of it.

That game {censored}s with your head, and makes you want to continue on at the same time. Its brilliant.

that is why I want to go buy all of them again, I rented two of them and regreted it.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

The problem with the video game is that it was basically a {censored}ty resident evil imitation. I can't imagine the movie would be that good, but then again, when's the last time something's really scared you? For me, it's been quite a while, and I wa smuch younger than I am now.

I don't know about "really scared", but when I played Silent Hill 2, I played it at midnight in my basement with all the lights off. Let me tell you, that game freaked me out enough that I had to turn it off and play it during the day.

• Members
Originally posted by SeanGuitar

I haven't seen the movie or played the games but

"and when he's raping the nurse corpse and ripping her apart in the kitchen sink in the apartment."

sure makes it sound wholesome and clean.
:eek:

Pyramidhead ain't the nicest guy. Raping creatures and killing everything are some hobbies of his. :freak:

Pyramidhead.jpg

• Members

well i went to see it with my fiancee the other night and it scared the b'jesus out of me and she could barely watch.

i havn't played the games, so i just had to take it on face value and i have to say the first half was pretty impressive...i thought the design and the effects were great and i felt an immense sense of dread when the sirens went off...

for me, the film was let down by really having very little narrative thread, plot or character development...which i kinda expected, but the main disappointment for me was the second half. it looked as if they were setting it up so that the woman had to fight her way through the basement, meeting ever more gruesome and terrifying monsters, but after she got through the nurses, that was it and we were into explanation time...which i thought was handled quite well, but felt anti-climactic in the context of where it was placed in the movie

when i think back, there was actually very little "gore" in the film...all the stuff that scared me most was the tension and not knowing what was going to happen next...

i thought the pyramid head guy was very cool and we could have had a bit more of him...and maybe some explanation of who he was

i think this could have been a terrific movie, but they just fell into the usual "hollywood" cliches...surprising since it wasn't a hollywood movie...but it's still better than most of the game-to-movie rubbish that's been out in the last few years.

i was thinking the other day about how far horror film have come in the last 25 years....since Alien, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St etc...they're much more sophisticated in many ways, but they still all rely on a small set of archetypal situations...the labyrinth, or the psycho killer etc etc. i think silent hill still had many of those elements, but almost...almost...managed to completely subvert them and create something new...almost...

i think you definitely have to see it in the cinema...i don't think it would be so scary at home...the sound design and the music was fantastic (especially at 1000 seat trembling watts!)

sim

• Members

i'm going to have to disagree, in that it didn't fall into the biggest hollywood cliche of a happy ending- in the end, she is still dead, with a daughter possessed by the demon, in the silent hill dimension and never able to return back to her real life.

Archived