Saw Mogwai last night - EXCELLENT SHOW

sonaboy

• Members

quite a complex stage setup.

LOTS of guitars - SG's, Strats, Starcaster, Tele's.

i couldn't get close enough to see FX, which sucks, because the guy who played the Tele all night was doing some KILLER filter and delay work during a few of the newer material off of Mr. Beast and Happy Music.

they had a computer program (probably Nuendo) hooked up to a vocal mic and some drum triggers. that was probably my fave part. Acid Food sounded brilliant.

the light show was pretty good - i had heard some people say it was amazing, but i wouldn't say it's any more complex than what your normal dance club has going. some rotating floods, some colored halogens and some fog.

still, it was nice.

saw LOTS OF PEOPLE STICKING THEIR FINGERS IN THEIR EARS.

:D

damn those boys are loud as {censored}. i wore my plugs. i'm glad i remembered them.

GO SEE THIS BAND!!!

• Members

^^ yeah .. i saw em in march ,, gonna see em again next weekend .. ( the shows in nyc are nice at this time)

That was the strangest part of the show, how many guitar changes , after eversong , 1 or 2 guitar swaps.. became a lil distraction ..

• Members

Originally posted by StratAtak83

^^ yeah .. i saw em in march ,, gonna see em again next weekend .. ( the shows in nyc are nice at this time)

That was the strangest part of the show, how many guitar changes , after eversong , 1 or 2 guitar swaps.. became a lil distraction ..

it wasn't so bad last night - they changed them a lot, but they needed to.

one of the guitars got pretty far out of tune at the beginning of a long song, and it was NOTICEABLE..

ugh, i felt bad for them for a while.

• Members

Originally posted by voerking

was jack rose opening for them? that dude can play the mother{censored}ing guitar.

i don't know - i walked in while Mogwai was playing their first song.

are they doing St. Louis?

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

it wasn't so bad last night - they changed them a lot, but they needed to.

one of the guitars got pretty far out of tune at the beginning of a long song, and it was NOTICEABLE..

ugh, i felt bad for them for a while.

what was bad was when a dl4 broke down in the middle of a track .. killed the show for 5 mins .. regrouping things..

• Members

for some reason theyre not playing in la....so i ended up buying tickets to see them in san francisco. im not the biggest fan in the world but my girlfriend loves them......but man im dreading the drive.

• Members

Originally posted by ode2no1

for some reason theyre not playing in la....so i ended up buying tickets to see them in san francisco. im not the biggest fan in the world but my girlfriend loves them......but man im dreading the drive.

screw it - take the Amtrak Ocean Liner.

i've done san diego to LA twice now - it's great.

it basically travels right next to the water for hundreds of miles.

cheap tix, a lot less than gas will cost.

• Members

see the thing about taking the train is that its like a 12 hour trip while driving would be about 6 hours. i also dont like the idea of not having a car while there. as long as we can get maybe 2 more people to go with us it shouldnt be TOO expensive.

• Members

see the thing about taking the train is that its like a 12 hour trip while driving would be about 6 hours. i also dont like the idea of not having a car while there. as long as we can get maybe 2 more people to go with us it shouldnt be TOO expensive.

yeah - 12 hours of snoozing, playing movies on your laptop, bringing along a cooler of drinks, etc.

most likely would be even more fun with more people.

i travel by train all the time. i dig it.

• Members

really? im not a huge fan of public transportation....but then again i dont even like when friends drive me whenever we go out. i guess i like knowing that if i need to i could leave whenever i feel like it....or in the case of a train....i can stop anywhere or anytime. plus i dont even have a laptop so sitting in a train for 12 hours...i'd probably die of boredom.

• Members

really? im not a huge fan of public transportation....but then again i dont even like when friends drive me whenever we go out. i guess i like knowing that if i need to i could leave whenever i feel like it....or in the case of a train....i can stop anywhere or anytime. plus i dont even have a laptop so sitting in a train for 12 hours...i'd probably die of boredom.

i've done 2 trips from Kansas City to San Diego (22 hours) and i just bring my portable DVD player, some CDs, a small cooler with a bottle of liquor and some citrus slices.

the last time, i watched the entire season 1 of Lost, drank gin&7up on the cheap (7up cans are like, $1.25 on the train).

the train that goes up the coast is really modern and comfy. AC outlets at every seat, snack bar, great views.

LA to San Fran is $55 each way.

it might be cheaper to drive if you have other people coming, but if you don't want to rent a hotel room, the train kicks ass because you can party at the show and then snooze all the way home that night.

and i just noticed that there's a 12 hour train, and a 7 hour train.

the 7 hour train is $65

12 hour is $55.

• Members

hmm....so they allow you to bring alcohol on the train? or did you have to be sneaky about it? but yea, if 4 of us go then itll be a bit cheaper to drive....and a hotel wouldnt be bad split 4 ways either. its too bad my gf HAS to work sundays....the show is on a saturday so it would be cool to get there friday and head back sunday night...but she has to be at work around noon, which means getting up pretty damn early on sunday.

• Members

hmm....so they allow you to bring alcohol on the train? or did you have to be sneaky about it? but yea, if 4 of us go then itll be a bit cheaper to drive....and a hotel wouldnt be bad split 4 ways either. its too bad my gf HAS to work sundays....the show is on a saturday so it would be cool to get there friday and head back sunday night...but she has to be at work around noon, which means getting up pretty damn early on sunday.

i usually keep the alcohol low profile, but i've watched people walk on with six packs out in the open, after leaving the train during a stop-over and buying it at a nearby gas station. amtrak isn't the airlines, for sure.

they don't open coolers and check stuff, if that's what you mean.

there's only 5 or 6 people that work the whole train, so being sneaky about anything is pretty easy.

• Members

I saw them in Austin last night. Really good show, but Jesus, those guys are LOUD. I had the plugs in at the beginning and thought about taking them out...then they played Killing All the Flies and I changed my mind.

I had a great time though!
-SD

Archived