Wish You Were Here

• Members

Why is it that the world has only one album like that (to my knowledge)? A continuous flow of pleasing sounds that makes you feel like you are drifting through the clouds. Nothing comes even close. If someone has attempted something along these lines, please let me know. In fact, that's what I am hoping to hear.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

Pink Floyd does that on a lot of their album. It's one of the things that made them so great.

PF is the obvious place to look. While my initial question is sincere enough, I am also taking a stab at the Floyd: why didn't they make more records like WYWH? Dark Side of the Moon is a great record, no question, but to me it cannot be compared with WYWH. It doesn't have the seamless flow - next to WYWH it seems like compilation of hits, i.e. pop not art. While The Wall is great art, it is haunted by irony, bitterness, insanity and all manner of negativity, and for that reason not quite what I am looking for.

• Members
Originally posted by RockNote

Undoubtedly, but still... It's a bad trip.

A bandmate of mine had a bad acid trip whilst having a bath and the Wall's bathtub scene became his reality...ended the night running around a major vancouver intersection with a 10" chef knife sticking out of his chest.:thu: Great movie.

• Members
Originally posted by jonny guitar

A bandmate of mine had a bad acid trip whilst having a bath and the Wall's bathtub scene became his reality...ended the night running around a major vancouver intersection with a 10" chef knife sticking out of his chest.
:thu:
Great movie.

Well, there you go! Put on WYWH and stuff like this won't happen. The Wall? Just say NO! ;)

• Members

Waters became increasingly negative and bitter as the years passed. "Animals" is damn dark, too. Then "The Final Cut" with its unrelentingly maudlin tone shows quite a bit more of the obsessiveness with his dead father hinted at previously in "The Wall."

Now take a listen to the positive messages in post-Waters Floyd. As much as I miss Roger's special brand of creative genius and insanity, the positive nature of Gilmour and friends after his departure is a welcome breath of fresh air to me. Division Bell is some nice listening, albeit more radio friendly and less crazy than the older stuff.

I love all of Pink Floyd, and I do think they had a special magic in the 70's. I have nothing but well wishes for all of the members of the band, past and present.

• Members

While The Wall is great art, it is haunted by irony, bitterness, insanity and all manner of negativity, and for that reason not quite what I am looking for.

Although I don't completly disagree, (and without meaning to be too much of an asshole) I think you've sort of missed the point of the album. Of course it deals with negative {censored}, but that's just it: it DEALS with it. I don't think it's so much a rant, but a working through of the worst in him at a particular time. I've always found the album to be intensely hopeful because of this.

• Members

PF is the obvious place to look. While my initial question is sincere enough, I am also taking a stab at the Floyd: why didn't they make more records like WYWH? Dark Side of the Moon is a great record, no question, but to me it cannot be compared with WYWH. It doesn't have the seamless flow - next to WYWH it seems like compilation of hits, i.e. pop not art. While The Wall is great art, it is haunted by irony, bitterness, insanity and all manner of negativity, and for that reason not quite what I am looking for.

First off, I disagree that volta comes close to the kind of cohesiveness a floyd album has. Wish You Were Here was a great album. I guess everyone has their favorite floyd album, but I disagree that it's their only cohesive effort. The wall has that same kind of unity as does Atom Heart Mother. Meddle also has a cohesiveness to it. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think The Final Cut was a great example of this. Both Animals and UmmaGumma also accomplish this, but in a lesser way.

• Members

Why is it that the world has only one album like that (to my knowledge)? A continuous flow of pleasing sounds that makes you feel like you are drifting through the clouds. Nothing comes even close. If someone has attempted something along these lines, please let me know. In fact, that's what I am hoping to hear.

I take it you've never listened to Loveless.

• Members

for me THE FINAL CUT flows as good as WYWH.

there are several cohesive albums from the 70's, just need to ponder some.

early RUSH, should be a few. 2112, hemisphere, fly by night.

maybe some JETHRO TULL.

EMERSON LAKE and PALMER, should have a couple.

maybe not the whole album, but allways dug UFO's FLYING, one side of an album jam.

IRON MAIDEN's KILLERS flows really well.

for new stuff MUDVAYNE's LD50 flows damn good.

• Members

WYWH is probably my favorite album by Pink Floyd. I say probably because it's so hard to pick a favorite :confused:. Personally, I've been listening to alot of DSOTM lately and find that the flow is at least as good as WYWH imo. I think all of their albums have a certain flow to them that really sets them apart as albums as a pose to "a bunch of good songs together."

• Members

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the world, but... The Final Cut is totally my favourite Floyd Album. There, I said it.

:mad:

That being said, I'm listening to Obscured By Clouds on vinyl this very second :D

• Members

i think some of the shoegazr and related bands achieve that:

The Verve: A Storm in Heaven
Slowdive: Souvlaki
Timonium: Until He Finds Us
Galaxie 500: On Fire

and i agree that Radiohead does too--but i think on the more current albums. of course, their cloud is a bit digital glitchy. ;)

Archived