Recommend a 2nd keyboard for guitarist?

MattMayfield

• Members

Hi all,

I'm playing guitar & keyboards in a rock & roll cover band and am fairly happy with my Roland XP-30. It's very flexible and programmable and I'm able to set up splits for songs like Comfortably Numb (strings, horn, and "just a little pinprick"), Band On The Run (several synths and a massive orchestra), and Best Friend's Girlfriend (claps, bari sax, strings, Hammond, and sound effect).

However, I'm looking to find another keyboard either to replace the XP-30, be a supplement, or be a backup. Whichever I use it for, it would also be nice to have a keyboard at home and another at the rehearsal space.

So, I'd like your opinions on a good, used board that can record or import custom samples for under $500. It would also need fairly flexible filters, splits, effects and other programmable options, and ideally would have at least reasonable B3, Rhodes, and acoustic piano sounds.

Candidates so far include the Alesis Q6 and an older Korg Triton. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

Guest Anonymous

The cool thing about a QS6 is the ability to use samples via Sound Bridge. You could buy a 8mb flash card and sample away.

The Triton would be nice since it has a touch display, excellent key action and samples.

Tough call.

:mad:

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

Thinking about it more, I don't really NEED another keyboard. All the sounds I get from the XP are functional, and I've gotten good at programming it (from the front panel, since there's no @%!#@# Mac OSX patch editor).

I saw a used Yamaha S03 for $280; looking at the manual it seems to have exactly the same architecture as the Roland XP. Anyone ever use one of those?

Thanks again,

Matt

Archived