Just made a new switching pedal

shawnc

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

The DOD and the Bad Monkey both have low impedance outputs.

I know.

I didn't say what was ON the board, I said the board itself.

What is with you defensive dudes.

Just because it's got buffers doesn't mean it's not a good argument for them.

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

I know.

I didn't say what was ON the board, I said the board itself.

What is with you defensive dudes.

Just because it's got buffers doesn't mean it's not a good argument for them.

You're making less sense with each post.

So, it's the "board itself"? What, carpeted aluminum ruins tone?

Not being defensive at all, just trying to figure out your complaint with my setup. And that last sentence means......?

As for "basic electronics and math", I play guitar on stage and use my ears to fine tune my sound, not a slide rule.

• Members

Nope. there's a noticable difference after 18 feet.

It's basic electronics and math.

Rubbish. You can't say "after 18 feet" unless you specify the source, destination and cable characteristics - the run required for an audible effect is dependent on all of those.

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

You're making less sense with each post.

So, it's the "board itself"? What, carpeted aluminum ruins tone?

Not being defensive at all, just trying to figure out your complaint with my setup. And that last sentence means......?

As for "basic electronics and math", I play guitar on stage and use
my ears
to fine tune my sound, not a slide rule.

WAAA!

SETTLE THE {censored} DOWN.

I"M NOT COMPLAINING.

I SAID THAT IN THE FIRST POST.

Thus YOU'RE BEING DEFENSIVE.

You have alot of pedals on the board.

Alot of cables.

If there were no buffers there would be noticable high end attenuation.

Just because you use your ears doesn't mean that the math is wrong.

Use a 45 foot length without any buffers, then A/B to 18.

You'll hear it.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Rubbish. You can't say "after 18 feet" unless you specify the source, destination and cable characteristics - the run required for an audible effect is dependent on all of those.

High impedence source, into a 1 meg(standard) input load, and a proper cable. IE, a guitar setup.

The BEST cable(pure copper strand wire, braided shield) will attenuate at 20 feet.

It's...just a fact.

• Members

Just because you use your ears doesn't mean that the math is wrong.

And just because the math may be right doesn't mean it must sound bad. Like I said, I sound the same whether I'm plugged straight into the amp or running through my board.

Got a calculation to explain that?

• Members

HUH???

Wow.

Defensive, rude, AND stupid.

You wanna go ad hominem and ignore the issues, fine. You'll lose either way.

:D

Now who's defensive?

You made a blanket statement and then couldn't back it up with evidence, just more blanket statements. You've not done calculations based on the inductance of the pickups, the capacitance of the cable or the series resistance of the cable, let alone factored in the volume and tone pot assemblies.

As I said, guesswork, which you followed up with a defensive, rude and stupid reply - and then whined about ad hominem. The irony is delicious.

• Members

:D

Now who's defensive?

You made a blanket statement and then couldn't back it up with evidence, just more blanket statements. You've not done calculations based on the inductance of the pickups, the capacitance of the cable or the series resistance of the cable, let alone factored in the volume and tone pot assemblies.

As I said, guesswork, which you followed up with a defensive, rude and stupid reply - and then whined about ad hominem. The irony is delicious.

No blanket statements, excuse me for assuming people are using....guitars and amps...

The pots make little difference. 18 feet is best case scenario.

Why are you bothering with this?
All I was saying is that looking at that board, I thought to myself "Wow, some people really DO need buffers."
he has them, but imagine if he didn't!

• Members

The pots make little difference. 18 feet is best case scenario.

18 feet is a guess, and you should not post it as fact. There are already too many myths about guitar electronics posted by the uninformed; don't compound the problem futher.

• Members

All I was saying is that looking at that board, I thought to myself "Wow, some people really DO need buffers."

he has them, but imagine if he didn't!

Now I understand, although it wasn't that clear from your original wording.

• Members

18 feet is a guess, and you should not post it as fact. There are already too many myths about guitar electronics posted by the uninformed; don't compound the problem futher.

Fine, give me the facts.

Iget my info from someone who's been working with electronics and pro audio since 1965.

Feel free to tell him he's wrong: 651-451-8878

Mike at Eclipse music, I refuse to accept the pain he'll inflict for annoying him, though. Don't use my name(or pseudonym in this case).

Have fun.

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

Now I understand, although it wasn't that clear from your original wording.

Gee, I SAID no offense, I said it's was a good argument for buffers.

Buffers were there, but that doesn't matter it can still be a good argument for them.

SHEESH.

• Members

Fine, give me the facts.

Iget my info from someone who's been working with electronics and pro audio since 1965.

Feel free to tell him he's wrong: 651-451-8878

Mike at Eclipse music, I refuse to accept the pain he'll inflict for annoying him, though. Don't use my name(or pseudonym in this case).

Have fun.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

So you don't actually understand the subject, but still insisted that it was fact? And now you want me to phone someone you (probably) just made up, but I definitely shouldn't mention you, and he'll hurt me?

You really do live in a funny little world. Still, at least you've admitted ignorance. :)

• Members

Ha ha ha ha ha!

So you don't actually understand the subject, but still insisted that it was fact? And now you want me to phone someone you (probably) just made up, but I definitely shouldn't mention you, and he'll hurt me?

You really do live in a funny little world. Still, at least you've admitted ignorance.
:)

WHAT?
I just SAID who taught me what I need to know.
It SI a fact, and I DO understand the subject? What crawled up your ass??

He won't hurt YOU, he'd hurt ME for having someone annoy him.(not physically, but he'd get on my case, and I'd never hear the end of it...).

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22eclipse+concert+systems%22&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
Yeah. He's sure fake...

You ahve SERIOUS issues.

• Members

Hey Guys, thanks for the pissing contest. So back to the original topic, how do you like my pedal I built? Lol ;)

You know I have to agree with all. I have experienced problems with long cable length affecting overall tone, But I think I had over 40 feet of cable with the guitar cable amp cable and effects cables. Specific length I have heard of 20 feet, 30 feet etc. And using a beffered pedal at the beginning of the chain made a world of difference.

I think it was anything over 20 feet, alas the reason why most guitar cables are a maximum of 20 feet. But I think using a buffer circuit at the front makes this lenth exponential larger.

:):thu:

Archived