Princeton Reverb -- good deal?

endo23

• Members

Amp guys out there-- a friend of mine has a vintage Princeton Reverb that his dad bought in the 70s. I don't know the exact year, but it's a mid-70s silverface in pretty good condition.

He's considering selling it to me for 600-700 bones. Thoughts? I love Deluxe Reverbs but have no experience with the Princetons... seems like it might be too good a deal to pass up, though.

• Members

Interesting... I've been looking for an apartment/bedroom amp-- like a Swart or something-- but maybe this could fill that void, huh?

Like I said, he's a friend, so I'm thinking I can get it for closer to $600...

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Interesting... I've been looking for an apartment/bedroom amp-- like a Swart or something-- but maybe this could fill that void, huh?

Like I said, he's a friend, so I'm thinking I can get it for closer to $600...

Don't get me wrong, they're not that quiet, but you can get a nice reverby clean sound and use it with pedals and it doesn't fart out like a Champ can sometimes.

• Members

I'm a bedroom playa myself and I really want a princton reverb , I member a guy selling one on craiglist for 200, damn i missed that deal.guess i'll stay with my sfdr for alil while ..

.. 600 wouldn't be bad though .. i'd say go for it..

• Members

Originally posted by Chirpy_72

way too much IMO. If it were a BF in great condition I could justify the price, but not a mid 70's SF.

Might want to check the going rates these days. They've shot up price wise. I haven't seen a Princeton Reverb for under $650 in NYC in a long time and dealers are looking for more like $800-900 if its an older silverface. BFs are up over $1000.

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Might want to check the going rates these days.

+1

Completed auctions mostly fall in the 700-900 range, though there are a few below that. A lot will depend on the condition, and on what the current owner has invested.

• Members

Might want to check the going rates these days. They've shot up price wise. I haven't seen a Princeton Reverb for under $650 in NYC in a long time and dealers are looking for more like $800-900 if its an older silverface. BFs are up over $1000.

Ebay prices always seem to be on the high side. My guess is people that don't have access to vintage gear stores or they really want an item they can't find locally.

A store in my town has had a few Princeton's come and go WELL below $700.

The going price on Ebay for Fender Champs is around $500 ... I see 'em local in stores for below $300. Now maybe I'm lucky living in a large metro area, but there if you look around you won't have to pay $700 for a $500 amp.

• Members

Ebay prices always seem to be on the high side. My guess is people that don't have access to vintage gear stores or they really want an item they can't find locally.

The going price on Ebay for Fender Champs is around $500 ... I see 'em local in stores for below $300. Now maybe I'm lucky living in a large metro area, but there if you look around you won't have to pay $700 for a $500 amp.

Lower than $600? If so, send a link.

• Members

Buy it.
I've been playing a 64 Princeton Reverb with original jensen for 4 years now. Best sounding amp I've ever owned(and I've had a ton). Love, love, loves pedals. Perfect small club amp. Vintage amps are only going to go up in value. There is still a lot of mojo in vintage stuff that newer stuff comes close to..but mostly falls short of. Not sure, but I think the silver face PRs are very very close to the blackface ones. Put some NOS rca and mullards in there with a vintage jensen and you've got it.
:thu:

FYI If you don't need reverb or trem...the straight up princeton's are about the best vintage "bang for your buck" amp out there. IMHO! They don't get as dirty as a PR will tho....a bit more clean headroom.

• Members

Ah that's a Princeton, not a Princeton Reverb. Not a bad price though.

And the Princeton has a reputation of being fairly difficult to overdrive...

I missed the boat of a '72 PR in great condition that went for $AUD1000 (~US$750) a few years ago. That's crazy cheap (imported fenders are real expensive here, the store near me shifted a vibrochamp for the same amount). I didn't have the cash available and couldn't liquidate my other amps quick enough. :cry:

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

And the Princeton has a reputation of being fairly difficult to overdrive...

I haven't really played a BF Princeton, but I do know that the Brownface Princetons are some of the nicest swamp crunch machines going... but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

• Members

I haven't really played a BF Princeton, but I do know that the Brownface Princetons are some of the nicest swamp crunch machines going... but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I've never even seen a Brownface Fender, let alone played one :D ....:o

• Members

Amp guys out there-- a friend of mine has a vintage Princeton Reverb that his dad bought in the 70s. I don't know the exact year, but it's a mid-70s silverface in pretty good condition.

He's considering selling it to me for 600-700 bones. Thoughts? I love Deluxe Reverbs but have no experience with the Princetons... seems like it might be too good a deal to pass up, though.

damn i remember when in this local store that no one ever bought. very small, cheap town without many guitar players

the blackface one was going for 350. probably still there.

i don't think that amp is worth 600 though.

• Members

Like this one..?

64Princeton.jpg

The 6G2 Princetons are KILLER amps, IMO - the overdrive is really aggressive for a Fender. Mine's a '64 Blackface transitional model - the same as the Brownface guys. 'Swamp crunch' is a pretty accurate assesment!

• Members

Where are you seeing the $500 dollar champs? I just did a completed item search and nothing came up as much more than $350. Well, two auctions did. One is in England and the other was a Super Champ.

EDIT: erksin, that is a sweet looking amp!

• Members

Huh.

Guess I need to do some research-- I was in the San Diego area recently and saw a number of PR's priced WAY above $700, but I guess they were older models... I really don't know much about vintage amps, as I've always opted for "new old school" stuff like my Fargen Blackbird-- most of the mojo of a vintage Fender, plus reliability and warranties and all that good {censored}.

I'll have to wait and see what additional info my friend can provide about the amp... thanks for all the tips, though... I thought this was a no-brainer purchase, and now I'm reconsidering.

• Members

Huh.

Guess I need to do some research-- I was in the San Diego area recently and saw a number of PR's priced WAY above $700, but I guess they were older models... I really don't know much about vintage amps, as I've always opted for "new old school" stuff like my Fargen Blackbird-- most of the mojo of a vintage Fender, plus reliability and warranties and all that good {censored}.

I'll have to wait and see what additional info my friend can provide about the amp... thanks for all the tips, though... I thought this was a no-brainer purchase, and now I'm reconsidering.

yeah, i doubt that would be worth it. I have a reverend kingsnake, which can go 20 or 60 watts and has really cool fender, supro and marshall modes built in, not digital. you can get one on ebay for about 800 or so. i think a small vintage fender wouldn't be worth the trouble and price. cool collectors' item, but better sound and easier upkeep can be had elsewhere.

Archived