My Space Networking!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Meriphew ... added you earlier today, thanks! By the way, I don't usually listen to your style of music but I really liked the streaming track on your page - great stuff!
;)

Thx for the kind words TIKIROCKER.

• Members

Here's mine: http://myspace.com/stone11band

I think MySpace is great. It's allowed us to get gigs we'd have otherwise never known about. It's also a great way to communicate with our fans.

I hate the layout, and I hate how the site is written. We've not been on there long enough to judge about how it is ran, but I've been hearing horror stories from a few folks.

I wish there was a "premium" upgrade, where you could pay a small fee each month, and get the ability to put up more songs, more photos, and maybe have more tweakability with the page.

But it suits our needs pretty well now ... at least I've not found anything better.

• Members

I've heard of bands working their site up the ranks, someone complains about them, and then having their site pulled down for no good reason. With all the work we put into our site building a network of fans, I would hate to think that Tom could pull it down based on anyone's complaint -- valid or not.

Thats why I wish there was a Premium service offered. Its easy to pull a site when no one is paying for anything. It's another matter if they are a paying subscriber. I would just feel more secure paying $5 or $10 a month and knowing that I am not so much under the whims of another individual.

Nothing bad has ever happened w/ us, though, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I've just heard a few folks on there chatting about a situation like this. Whether or not it actually happened -- well, I don't know for sure.

Either way, we're enjoying the response we're getting, and I can't knock it personally. MySpace has been great to us.

• Members

Thanks man ... yeah bummer if that's true but another thing to do is just have a seperate homepage for your band that you own and then just link it from Myspace so you always have that backup and flow on of traffic. If the Myspace page get's sunk odds are allot of people will still have your personal band page in their bookmarks etc.

Add me up ... ;)

• Members

See sig.

Add me and I'll accept later. Myspace is blocked here at work. :evil:

I was recently told that we need more "friends" on Myspace to get anywhere by someone in the buisness. Did you know labels actually browse the site and look at friend numbers? Warner Bros. was looking at my friends band and told them the same {censored}. Its a shame because they are really good and deserve to have a deal but they keep getting the runaround. Sorry I can't spend hours on Myspace trying to request friends.

• Members

Sure do.

Be sure to check mine out.

Just released a new album, Prohibition, with Chris Glen and Ted McKenna (Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Ian Gillan, Michael Schenker Group) and it features Don Airey (Deep Purple, Rainbow , Whitesnake, Black Sabbath) on 2 tracks.

• Members

^^^^^ that is so {censored}ing lame... i cant believe its come to that..
its come down to how much of a computer dork you are and how much time you spend on there adding and talking to people on some website...
dont they realise that the 'real' muso's and bands would rather be off somewhere else, playing music...
{censored}in hell the music "business" sucks...
REVOLUTION!!!!

• Members
Originally posted by 5macca

^^^^^ that is so {censored}ing lame... i cant believe its come to that..

its come down to how much of a computer dork you are and how much time you spend on there adding and talking to people on some website...

dont they realise that the 'real' muso's and bands would rather be off somewhere else, playing music...

{censored}in hell the music "business" sucks...

REVOLUTION!!!!

Indeed brother UNITE!!!! .........or just keep playing to drunks in {censored}ty bars like we have :( .

To be fair, I did get some great shows out of being on there. We played the House Of Blues in Atlantic City because of a connection from there and that was cool, as well as opening for some national acts.

What really pisses me off is that its not a real fanbase. Most of those people haven't even lisented to your music closely, let alone go to a show.

• Members

I agree to a point, but bands have always had to suck it up one way or another and do things not music related to have a chance.

Today, its adding MySpace friends. Yesterday, it was mailing out demos and flyers to everyone and their brother. Either way the goal is the same -- get label attention.

It's always been this way. The way we do it is just different now.

• Members
Originally posted by DonaldDemon

Indeed brother UNITE!!!! .........or just keep playing to drunks in {censored}ty bars like we have
:(

To be fair, I did get some great shows out of being on there. We played the House Of Blues in Atlantic City because of a connection from there and that was cool, as well as opening for some national acts.

What really pisses me off is that its not a real fanbase. Most of those people haven't even lisented to your music closely, let alone go to a show.

hey, im not bagging myspace.... i think its great!!
people from all over the world can see your name and hear your music for free right there and then.... and thats a beautiful thing..
what bothers me is what you said about companies scoping the pages and telling people "hey, your music is cool... but really, you gotta get more 'myspace internet friends' before you can interest us"
what the {censored} is wrong with this picture!!!!
and your right about the "not a real fanbase"....
lots of people are just on there to get as many friends as they can so they can seem 'cool' among the rest of the myspace internet nerds.....

• Members
Originally posted by meriphew

Cool tunes BTW Tiki.

Thanks mate ... I did say I really liked the vibe on your stuff, I would happily play your tunes at a first date dinner at my place with that special girl - already got one but you know what I mean.

I saw you had some interesting people on production - some nice high end types - what's your connection and background man? I ask because I come from a professional family of muso's and have a bit of history in the session side of things and we have friends from the once great Harry Nilson to Jackson Browne band members in the states etc. I'm doing all my own writing, producing for the demo's right now from a small home studio deal but will be casting around for good producers in the industry to work with in the near future. It's nice to know about other's experiences in the studio with producers too. :cool:

Archived