Best gain combo ? BB Preamp w/ COT 50, Eternity w/ COT50 or Blackstone w/ COT 50 ????

eethier

• Members

Hi, I'm looking for the perfect match for a COT50, something that complements the tonal characteristics of the pedal, who as character but is still transparent... I want to go from sweet Robben Ford tones to raw hard rock overdrive... what would be the best pick ? Eternity ? BB ? Blackstone ?

amps: Marshall 1974X and Orange Rocker 30

guitars: Gibson ES-135 and Rickenbacker 650E

• Members

Originally posted by eethier

Hi, I'm looking for the perfect match for a COT50, something that complements the tonal characteristics of the pedal, who as character but is still transparent... I want to go from sweet Robben Ford tones to raw hard rock overdrive... what would be the best pick ? Eternity ? BB ? Blackstone ?

amps: Marshall 1974X and Orange Rocker 30

guitars: Gibson ES-135 and Rickenbacker 650E

i run my COT 50, in front of an eternity and it's

great,i also have the xotic BB, great pedal. with your amp and guitars though, i'd pick the

eternity, the treble boost in that box combined

with the gain covers a lotta ground!:cool:

• Members

I'm afraid the Zendrive is a little bit of a one trick pony, and I heard it doesn't clean up really well... maybe my exemple was too precise... I juste want to be able to go from a smooth singing tone to a agressive "detroit" type of gain.

• Members

I'm afraid the Zendrive is a little bit of a one trick pony, and I heard it doesn't clean up really well... maybe my exemple was too precise... I juste want to be able to go from a smooth singing tone to a agressive "detroit" type of gain.

Then try the Blue Boy - super versatile TS variant. It replaced a Keeley TS-9 and a Hermida Mosferatu on my board.

Another would be the Blackstone I guess (never owned one myself), it gets a lot of raves. It supposedly cleans up really well for a med-high gainer.

• Members

the big "E" will do ya! really a no brainer, you

already have the COT 50, so you know quality

of lovepedals!:)

• Members

I don't have the COT50 yet, but like you said... this one in particular is a no brainer... i'm really interested by the Eternity but I really like to read about other possibilities. BTW I dislike Tubescreamers or other clones...

• Members

Never played a blackstone but I hear they disappear in a live mix.

I've never owned a pedal that cuts through better in a live mix than my Blackstone. The orange channel has less fizz than my other light OD's, and if there's one thing you can dial in with the red channel, it's midrange cut and punch.

Since I like to dial it in for light OD and crunch rhythm sounds, the challenge for me has been to find something to stack it with that sounds good with BOTH channels for leads. I tried to keep it first in the chain for the good cleanup ability, but putting OD's/boost after it for singing sustain hasn't worked well- mainly on the red channel. Either there's not enough sustain, or the gain of the OD turns the Blackstone to mush. I've had much better luck putting OD's before it, and even in it's standard "reactive" mode, it still sounds good as I roll down the volume knob on my guitar.

My best results have come with an HBE Germania and TC Jauernig Gristle King before it. They both kinda noisy between notes with the red channel, but juice it up pretty well without destroying the basic BS tone.

Not as good with the Blackstone for me were a Keeley Sparkledrive, RC Booster and Foxrox ZIM, though they all sounded good on their own and for clean boosts. Didn't produce exciting results for lead tones.

(I play hums & mini-hums, and usually keep my amps' gain and tone controls around 12:00. I run the Blackstone orange gain from 11:00-1:00, and red gain from 7:00-9:00.)

• Members

to a agressive "detroit" type of gain.

I want that too... I have an "E", and I confess a GAS attack for the Cot50, as I understood it can by itself give a "raw" Marshall-esque tone, ie "Detroit" ie "Stooges" rythm sound :freak::cool:

• Members

I don't have the COT50 yet, but like you said... this one in particular is a no brainer... i'm really interested by the Eternity but I really like to read about other possibilities. BTW I dislike Tubescreamers or other clones...

also, the banzai fireball 2, or with the COT 50, buy

a cheap EQ pedal to shape the tone and a boost

pedal i.e. mxr micro amp to get over the top. good luck, plenty of info here. jes bring a full wallet!:D

Archived