Need advice using a volume pedal as an expression pedal for my Line 6 FM4

• Members

So I bought one of those cheap Rogue Stereo Volume pedals from MF hoping that I could use it as an expression pedal for my Line 6 FM4 Modeler. It kind of works, but it seems to be glitchy. First of all, it seems like a majority of "change" occurs in the first 1/4 of the pedal sweep, so it is really hard for example to match rate to the tempo to a song since it is so touchy. And also I notice that sometimes the parameters are a little off. If I set the pedal to be heel at octave down, and toe to octave up, sometimes the toe will sporadically choose to be octave up,or a full step below octave up for no apparent reason. Anyone have any clue why this is? Maybe because this pedal has a volume on it (BTW, it only works with volume on minimum, otherwise the range of change is very small). Would buying a dedicated expression make things work much more consistently and smoothly, with a nice even sweep? Or is there something I could do to this pedal?

238701.jpg

• Members

I think the reason for it not feeling right is the taper. Some pots are linear (the graph of resistance vs. rotation is linear) and some are log and other such curves. I'm not too sure which one the FM4 prefers, so hopefully others might chime in, or it may be written in a manual somewhere. It might be best to try a few out and see which ones feel right.

Archived