Tone Press = The Final Piece of the Puzzle

endo23

• Members

I've been running a Saffron Squeeze on my board for ages now, but lately I've been feeling like it's TOO squishy, ruins my attack and doesn't let my OD's "breathe." (You know, all the usual complaints about comps and dynamics.) Tried out a number of other comps during the past year (T-Rex, Analogman, Keeley) before biting the bullet and scooping up a Tone Press off eBay this week.

The Tone Press IS IT. The blend knob works exactly as advertised (genius!), and while my rig will never be "complete" (there are always delay and modulation pedals to buy), I can say with confidence that my core tone is now in place: COT50 -> Eternity -> Tone Press.

The TP tames the COT's massive volume boost without totally clamping down on its "open wide" quality-- something my SS couldn't manage. With the TP engaged, the COT alone gives me edgy, slight break-up like a cranked amp. ETERNITY alone is the perfect rhythm sound. And both together? The lead tone I've been hearing in my head for the past 8 years.

So... Thanks to all you FXers who turned me onto Lovepedal and convinced me to try the Press. You are the wind beneath my wings. :thu:

• Members

I haven't tried the TP before the Eternity yet... I tend to be a "compressor after OD" kind of guy, but I will certainly experiment with its placement. I've got a bunch of other dirt to throw at it too, so in the end I'll probably have an OD before and another after, just for variety...

And I didn't get to run my Fuzz Factory with it, but I'm looking forward to that-- the FF is another hard to tame pedal, so maybe the TP will make it more user friendly?

I did try it with my ICBM, though... :love:

• Members

Thanks, Tiki. I think Dave Barber makes some of the best gear out there right now-- never been less than blown away by any of his pedals-- or his prices.

Hack-- it's possible. Prepare to put Mr. Squishy on the chopping block! ;)

• Members
Originally posted by 48729zjd

Better than the Keeley eh? Hmmmmm.......
:cool:

What is your main guitar right now?
:wave:

The Keeley is great, but it's just a dolled-up Ross, which is what my Saffron Squeeze is. I can get the same exact sounds out of both-- and while they're great pedals, they just feel a little over-compressed for my current tastes. The TP intrigued me because I thought if I could blend in a bit of clean signal, it might allow me to preserve some attack and dynamics while getting the sustain and level balance I dig-- et voila, that's exactly what it does!

My main guitar is a PRS Custom 24. The pups on that thing have really been an issue-- high output-- and the TP tames my whole chain in a very musical way.

• Members

I think the three best compressors I have ever used are the Keeley, Barber Tone Press and the Maxon CP-101. I think the Barber is the most transparent and versitle, while the Maxon is easy to use. All three are excellent and slight different from each other.

Jack

• Members

You should... I mean, it's just my opinion, but the 4-knob comp is kind of overkill, for the price-- the attack knob is VERY subtle, and the input knob is just to fine tune the comp for different instrument levels, like if you're gonna run keys or vox through the pedal.

I think the TP's Blend knob is the first real improvement to the classic Ross/Dyna-comp design. Again, just my take, but you owe it to yourself to try both.

Archived