OT: relativity

• Members

Emo:

Sunny Day Real Estate
Fugazi
Jawbreaker

Scenester pop:

The {censored} that you are refering to as emo/weird haircut Crate players/ cut my wrists and gut my tummy

Common misconception, but it makes awesome, talented bands such as Fugazi look bad.

Scenester.jpg

• Members

Well, see the whole "emo" label came from a style of music that had intense emotional lyrics. Fugazi was one of the bands at the beginning of the emo label.

I guess the moral of the story is that emo of yesteryear is much different than what people refer to as emo of today.

• Members

Originally posted by fatbackribs

Fugazi was playing great rock music long before someone else labelled it "Emo"

Ian's project before Fugazi, Egghunt seemed to lay out the current Emo-sound pretty well though...

the term emo was around before Fugazi. Fugazi isn't emo, it's post-hardcore. Sunny Day Real Estate isn't emo, it's post-emo indie rock.

• Members

emo was short for emotional hardcore. all music has emotion but not everything is emo. a few hardcore bands were really going over the top with the personal reflection stuff and thus emo-core was born. the title really only applies to that early hardcore stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

i wasn't trying to be a jerk! i hope you didn't take it that way!

Haha, no. I'm glad you came in with insight. I'll be the first to say that Fugazi was a great band, as was SDRE but I don't really know much about the history of it all. I was just a wee one around that time. Good to know a little history behind it.

• Members

I don't really think emo is a worthwhile term, at this point it has no meaning, and it has been watered down with redundancy and an insane amount of sub-genre's.

I'd much rather refer to modern "emo" as "scenester" music, if only because that's what is popular right now. It won't be popular forever. In 10 years people will be whining about how they miss "their" music and everyone will agree over on the amp forums, a la hair metal.

Kidding aside, since when do emo kids play Crates? Numetal kids played crates, but that's over with. Emo kids play overpriced mesa amps that they bought on their rich daddies credit card. (No offense to the rich kids who like good music, of course, but I digress.)

Then again, Crate makes a couple good amps. I have an oldschool bass head by crate that rocks with my ampeg cab.

Just listen to what you like. :freak: People worrying about labels are almost as bad as the kids "scening it up."

• Members

After hearing many discussions similar to this I have decided to boycott all music labelling. With so many different genre names they end up meaning nothing, and terms change so often and relate to different styles anyway. Now when describing how a certain band sounds I always refer to other artists. As in 'X' sounds like a cross between 'Y' and 'Z'. Much less confusion that way IMO...

• Members

Originally posted by milodubsky

After hearing many discussions similar to this I have decided to boycott all music labelling. With so many different genre names they end up meaning nothing, and terms change so often and relate to different styles anyway. Now when describing how a certain band sounds I always refer to other artists. As in 'X' sounds like a cross between 'Y' and 'Z'. Much less confusion that way IMO...

just like dirt pedals: "its like a cross of a ts9 and a ts808"

Archived