Wiring a battery plug to power supply lead?

• Members

I got a Vox wah today (sounds great) and as you might know its battery only.. I'm trying to add a battery clip on the end of a wire from my power bank dc power supply which is centre negative plugs, so I can connect the battery clip to the one inside the pedal and power it..

I cut off a plug from one end of the wires that go from the power supply and it looks like the following rubbish diagram -

untitled22dz.png

Basically I dont know if the bare (green on diagram) should be twisted together, then go to the red or black on the battery clip, and dont know where the centre (yellow on diagram) wire should go to. I'm guessing the centre/core wire should go to negative (black?) as the plug thing is centre negative, but I wanted to check first before I try anything.

Cheers

• Members

Hate to tell you this since you've already started but they do make 9v battery connectors for ac adaptors ...

I also hate to tell you this but ... I tried that with my v847 and it was awfull. Tons 'o 60 cycle hum coming right on through. It's unusable. Since the v847 is only powered from a battery it doesn't have much if any power supply filtering.

If you're bound and detrmind to do this - and if you are certain the the yellow wire is connected to the center of the plug (negative or 'ground') then that wire would attach to the black wire of the battery clip BUT I highly recommend that you do not do this and go buy the proper adaptor instead.

Good Luck!

• Members

Yellow will probably be the centre tag, the green shield the barrel part of the jack (check with a continuity meter if you can)

To wire it up to the snap (so you connect that snap to the one already in the pedal) you would want the negative from the jack to the positive part of the snap - red, and ground to the black - when you connect the snaps together it will reverse the contacts - the bit on the snap connecting to the negative of the pedals snap will need to be a positive one...

David

• Members
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

Yellow will probably be the centre tag, the green shield the barrel part of the jack (check with a continuity meter if you can)

To wire it up to the snap (so you connect that snap to the one already in the pedal) you would want the negative from the jack to the positive part of the snap - red, and ground to the black - when you connect the snaps together it will reverse the contacts - the bit on the snap connecting to the negative of the pedals snap will need to be a positive one...

David

Well.. I *think* I did the opposite to that yet it works fine :freak: I wired the centre wire to the black on the snap and the surrounding wire to red on the snap and it works perfect.. I use a cheap power bank power supply which you can get on www.maplin.co.uk I think.

Archived