amp question for the stoner rock guys

• Members

i have noticed all sorts of strangeness regaridng the Matamp website-s.

one looks to be some Brits, then the other some Americans who ripped off the designs and started this "Electric" amp company..

WTF? does anybody have any clue as to what is going on here??

and what is up with these prices, especially when it comes to empty cabs?

• Members

so who are these guys
www.matamp.com
edit: yes i know it says they are a distrivutor or something like that.
so what is the deal here though?? electric amps?

some big squab between the UK and US guys? I already read some strange {censored} about the British site and supposedly screwing over the guy who developed the website.

i have seen this one around at least 7-8 years now.

• Members

matamp.com was the US distributor for Matamp UK. They had a falling out of sorts and the US distributor started his own company. Matamp UK is the direct descendent of the original Matamp, but have moved on to new original designs. They have discontinued their line of high wattage amps in favor of 80 watts and less with more modern features. Electric, the former US distributor, from my understanding has gone with designs that are closer to the original Matamps of the 60/70s. There's a lot of bad blood between the two, with some public squabling over the net.

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

Wow, that's interesting. There are two companies running around making amps using the same name and loggo, but different designs. That's weird.

That's not quite true. Matamp's say "Matamp" on them, whereas Electric/MatampUS say "Electric". Most of the Matamp amps have been redesigned, so they don't even look like the Matamp's of yore, while Electric's do try to look like those...It's kind of silly I think.

• Members

Originally posted by LoneStarGuitar

i have noticed all sorts of strangeness regaridng the Matamp website-s.

one looks to be some Brits, then the other some Americans who ripped off the designs and started this "Electric" amp company..

WTF? does anybody have any clue as to what is going on here??

and what is up with these prices, especially when it comes to empty cabs?

Ignore anything and everything Joel from electric tells you.The mans an idiot.

Matamp.co.uk is the official matamp site.Joel at matamp.com used to be their USA distro, now junior's music are.Joel had a falling out with matamp (I won't go into it, although it does make for interesting reading!!) and he is now to be found slagging off matamp's excellent products and customer service on stonerrock.com to try and get people to buy electrics.

• Members

Originally posted by riffpowers

Ignore anything and everything Joel from electric tells you.The mans an idiot.

Matamp.co.uk is the official matamp site.Joel at matamp.com used to be their USA distro, now junior's music are.Joel had a falling out with matamp (I won't go into it, although it does make for interesting reading!!) and he is now to be found slagging off matamp's excellent products and customer service on stonerrock.com to try and get people to buy electrics.

Oh, the guy has not told me anythign.. i just remember all sorts of oddities from forums and random snippets across the web.

any place a guy could find a recount of this story? im in th emood for reading about some men acting like children.

here is my big question: WTF gives with the pricing on these amps?? I am an intelligent enough person to understand economics and whatnot, but seriously, considering what goes into the designs..

• Members

Well, he got banned from the matamp forum for badmouthing their products to try and justify hsi exorbitant markup to his potential customers.He put a post on sr.com (now removed thanks to me) saying that matamps and their faulty parts caused the fire at juniors music, which apart from being untrue is in bad taste I reckon.He recently put a thread on sr.com saying that matamps use the cheapest transformers they can get hold of, wire them up wrong and they blow up.He later edited it out, which just goes to show what a wanker he was to say it anyway.Apart from that being totally untrue, he's not even remotely qualified to make any kind of analysis as he's not anywhere near an amp tech.Just a few examples of his rather unusual "mudslinging" marketing ploy.
Thats just the tip of the iceberg. I could go on all day!!!

Archived