My Andy is arriving today!!

lawst

• Members

After 4 months of waiting for the beast and delivery date teasing from Alesis, its finally going to arrive at some point today!!! I just hope mine is not another one of the lemons going around...

EDIT: and a lemon it was :mad:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

my chick just let me know its at my flat so all I just need to hope thats its not one of the bad batch which Alesis have recently manufactured - unfortunately im at work so im gonna need to climb up the walls in the office for a few more hours before I get to play :rolleyes:

• Members

First thing, you need to check it out completely for problems.

On VSE you can find another person (this time in Europe) whose new A6 had major tuning issues. This is in addition to myself and the other two people who ordered from Nova. I don't mean to get you scared here; I just want you to be really observant for any issues.

• Members

Originally posted by XorAxAx

First thing, you need to check it out completely for problems.

On VSE you can find another person (this time in Europe) whose new A6 had major tuning issues. This is in addition to myself and the other two people who ordered from Nova. I don't mean to get you scared here; I just want you to be really observant for any issues.

How did you discover your tuning issues? I mean do you have to do something special to notice such as turn unison on etc because only certain voices are out of tune?

• Members

hey lawst: congratulations.

i'd suggest you turn your new A6 on, and while it's warming up, turn some knobs, check the display, familiarize yourself with it a little and check how you like everything.

if it's been sitting for a while, (which it probably has), it'll be out of tune.

there's an auto tune you can try, and a troubleshooting procedure to try if you hear any problems after auto tuning.

the auto tune takes about 3 and a half minutes - it tunes 17 frequency bands of each oscillator, the filters, vca's, and pwm.

remember that it's an analog synth, so a little drifting in the oscillators is normal, but you shouldn't hear it being drastically out of tune.

go thru the manual a bit to get a feel for what to do and look for.

here's a start:

lifted from page 28 of the A6 pdf manual (for autotune):

"To tune the Andromeda's voices automatically:

On the left side of the control panel above the Mod Wheel, find the MASTER section,

with a Volume and a Tune knob. Press the AUTO TUNE button beneath these, which

will bring up the Auto Tune display. Press AUTO TUNE again to start the tuning

process.

On the display, you will see each individual oscillator, pulse width, and filter tuned in

turn. This takes about three and a half minutes, during which you won't be able to play

the unit. (Later, you can save time by tuning only the oscillators if you wish, by pressing

the button under OSCFRQ in the display.)

Once the unit is tuned, you'll see a chart showing the results of the tune. A

• Members

thanks million for that man! :thu:

I'm sure this will prove very useful in 1 and half hours when I get back home and stuck in to the beast!

Originally posted by mildbill

hey lawst: congratulations.

i'd suggest you turn your new A6 on, and while it's warming up, turn some knobs, check the display, familiarize yourself with it a little and check how you like everything.

if it's been sitting for a while, (which it probably has), it'll be out of tune.

there's an auto tune you can try, and a troubleshooting procedure to try if you hear any problems after auto tuning.

the auto tune takes about 3 and a half minutes - it tunes 17 frequency bands of each oscillator, the filters, vca's, and pwm.

remember that it's an analog synth, so a little drifting in the oscillators is normal, but you shouldn't hear it being drastically out of tune.

go thru the manual a bit to get a feel for what to do and look for.

here's a start:

lifted from page 28 of the A6 pdf manual (for autotune):

"To tune the Andromeda's voices automatically:

On the left side of the control panel above the Mod Wheel, find the MASTER section,

with a Volume and a Tune knob. Press the AUTO TUNE button beneath these, which

will bring up the Auto Tune display. Press AUTO TUNE again to start the tuning

process.

On the display, you will see each individual oscillator, pulse width, and filter tuned in

turn. This takes about three and a half minutes, during which you won't be able to play

the unit. (Later, you can save time by tuning only the oscillators if you wish, by pressing

the button under OSCFRQ in the display.)

Once the unit is tuned, you'll see a chart showing the results of the tune. A

• Members

its arrived but unfortunately it looks like I am another one of the unlucky people to get one of the "bad batch". The tuning is screwed on a couple of the voice as far as I can tell. If I set the default patch its really noticable as each hit of middle c for example is different in pitch. All of the voices appear to be in tune according to the andys autotune menu but nope they are not.

Is there anything else I can try? I've tried auto tuning a couple of times and I left the unit on for 15 mins before setting the auto tune off

• Members

Originally posted by lawst

Is there anything else I can try?

Find a poly patch, hit the global button, and then hit soft button 8, I believe. I'm not 100% sure because my andromeda isn't in front of me. In any case, this will take you to a screen showing you which voices are currently being activated. If you notice that a particular voice is always out of tune, you can disable it from this screen. Try disabling each voice in order, while playing chords. If you turn off a voice and notice that your chords are no longer out of tune, you've found the bad one(s).

• Members
Originally posted by G-bus

Find a poly patch, hit the global button, and then hit soft button 8, I believe. I'm not 100% sure because my andromeda isn't in front of me. In any case, this will take you to a screen showing you which voices are currently being activated. If you notice that a particular voice is always out of tune, you can disable it from this screen. Try disabling each voice in order, while playing chords. If you turn off a voice and notice that your chords are no longer out of tune, you've found the bad one(s).

The out of tune voices appear to be random with each autotune I perform - think its gonna need to go back :mad:

• Members

:freak:

That's the same exact issue my new Andy had!

That makes a total of FIVE people I know of who have received a bad Andy from this batch. I don't know of anyone who has actually gotten a good one out of the batch either.

Send it back and get either a used Andy or something else entirely. It is NOT safe to buy a new Andy right now.

• Members
Originally posted by XorAxAx

:freak:

That's the same exact issue my new Andy had!

That makes a total of FIVE people I know of who have received a bad Andy from this batch. I don't know of anyone who has actually gotten a good one out of the batch either.

Send it back and get either a used Andy or something else entirely. It is NOT safe to buy a new Andy right now.

could you get the soft or hard resets to work?

• Members

BTW, when you send back, make sure to ask for a refund. Alesis wanted me to send my Andy in for warranty replacement, saying they could get me another Andy by "sometime in November". Don't fall for it. Judging by their previous track record, it could be six months or more before they have more Andys to ship out. And then, what problems will those have? It's safer just to get your money back and spend it where you please.

Archived