What/how do you use your Delay for?

• Members

My DD20 settings:

1. Modulated delay set to dotted note tap tempo

2. Slapback delay set to crotchet note tap tempo

3. Modulated delay set to sound like a univibe type thing (no delay)

4. Tape Echo set to 2 heads with lots of feedback for doing ambient swells.

That covers all I need pretty much.

• Members

I use it to have something play what I just played, only later.

:thu:

Ok, ok. I use delay for a lot of things.

I leave my DMM going on my clean channel all the time with slight modulation, it gives me a beautiful reverby clean tone.

I use it to add space to different parts, e.g., leads, with 3 or 4 repeats with the mix set low.

I use it to create more complex rhythms, generally 1 or 2 repeats set to unity gain.

I use it to make my amp sound like godzilla is attacking the city.

• Members

Oh yeah, forgot a couple.

Full reverse delay for cool, well, backwards stuff. Long time with no original signal.

I also use a reverse delay set fairly short with a 50% mix on one of our songs. Makes a blah arpeggios sound really cool in one song.

• Members

Mine is an Echo Park, I mostly us tape or analog mode. Everything from a short slapback, to a little bit longer to fill out strummed chords, to longer for smoothed out spacey solos to rhythmic delays a la The Edge or Run Like Hell to very long tape delays with volume pedal swells. I used to hate delay when I had a Boss Digital, but I love these analog/tape simulations, it's become my favorite and most utilized effect. I reall want a real analog delay (maybe a Diamond or Keeley modded AD9) and it would be really fun to play with a real tape echo or Echorec style unit.

• Members

i've got a dd20 and most of the time i just use it to create some amibence. i use modulated delay a lot. it gives movement to simple appegioes and ringing chords. i also have a setting which makes the notes sound very "haunting." if you want an idea of what i'm talking about fall of troy does something similar on the solo in "mouths like a sidewinder missle". and reverse delay is just fun to experiment with.

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

I tried that...

But it just repeated every bum note I did...

:D

David

Then you need the Feedback turned up higher. The more you repeat a bum note, the more 'right' it becomes.

• Members

I use my Echo Park pretty much all the time.

Right now I use it a lot by tapping the tempo of the song and turning up the repeats all the way or almost all the way and I create a oscillation that gives me a sort of noise percussion. It'll throb to the beat if you do it right. Leave the trails on and turn the pedal off and I can play over it without screwing up the "back track." At the end of the song, you can play with the time and mod knob and you can make it do some cool squeals and locust attacking sounds. Turn the repeats down and it will slowly fade out to the end. I pretty much leave it on analog mode all the time. It sounds great.

I use it for other things, but I've been doing that a lot.

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

My DD20 settings:

1. Modulated delay set to dotted note tap tempo

2. Slapback delay set to crotchet note tap tempo

3. Modulated delay set to sound like a univibe type thing (no delay)

4. Tape Echo set to 2 heads with lots of feedback for doing ambient swells.

That covers all I need pretty much.

I need to read my manual. How do you set the presets for tap-tempo? Do you have to have an external footswitch?

• Members

Originally posted by inlifeisdeath

Hello,

Following in the footsteps of the 'chorus' thread, I'm interested to know what and
how
you use your delay.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

The majority of my delay use these days is for self oscillation / crazy soundscape stuff. Though I do like an ever so slight delay on my non-reverb amp.

Archived