Anyone Using FM8 Yet

Atari Tech

• Members

Since it seems that the new N.I. upgrades are out, has anybody used FM8 yet? I bought FM7 (at $99) to upgrade to FM8 and i'm wondering

1) How much CPU/Ram Does it use?

2) Does it sound much Different from FM7

3) How many new presets are there and how are they

4) Is it easier to use than FM7

5) Should I upgrade?

• Members

Seems to be still relatively light on the cpu. Presets with new features can be heavier.

Sound can be quite different. Particularly with all the new effects onboard. Basic FM patches without the new features don't reveal any basic timbral changes though.

Lots of presets. Most seem pretty decent. Lots of use of the new arpeggiator. Many make use of the new morphing feature which makes some interesting dynamic variations possible.

It's much easier to use at a higher level than FM7. They seem to have extensively reorganized the "expert" pages too, but I haven't had much time to dig in there yet.

I'd say it's certainly worth the upgrade if you use FM7 a lot. I'm more interested in FM8 than I am in Massive, now that I've used them both.

You should watch the tutorial video on NI's site and see what you think.

• Members

Originally posted by pighood

RADICAL change from FM7. A whole new instrument.

One omission...the randomize feature. I hope they reinstate it.

You still have it- sort of. You'll notice the sliders at the top and right of the morph pad- this gives the amount of random spread. Increase the random seed amount, and move through the morph pad. When you come across something you like, save it...

The big up with this over the previous randomize is that you can combine various elements from different patches and randomize using them as parents.

ew

• Members

And in response to the original poster;

1) How much CPU/Ram Does it use?

For the most part, the same as FM7 did. The effects will use more CPU, as will the high resolution mode if enabled. Still, I'm seeing about .5% CPU a voice in normal mode, and

2) Does it sound much Different from FM7

Using FM7 patches, it'll sound the same. High resolution mode will bring out more sparkle on the high end, but that's the only difference.

3) How many new presets are there and how are they

256. For the most part they're very usable.

4) Is it easier to use than FM7

I think it's easier to get around. Expert mode has some nice options; it's nice having all the operators on one page if you like, or all the envelopes on one page.

And, finally:

5) Should I upgrade?

Yep...:D

ew

• Members

Originally posted by ew_

You still have it- sort of. You'll notice the sliders at the top and right of the morph pad- this gives the amount of random spread. Increase the random seed amount, and move through the morph pad. When you come across something you like, save it...

The big up with this over the previous randomize is that you can combine various elements from different patches and randomize using them as parents.

ew

Crystal uses a version of this. And it's freeware.

Archived