100 Greatest Moments in Delay History. Analog or Digital.

seifukusha

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by phishmarisol

I know I'm not the biggest Hendrix fan but did he really use delay on those tracks?

Ah man, the slide/beginning of the "Watchtower" solo is the #1 use of guitar echo in my book. (And wah too-untouchable!) "Banner" delay? pretty sure, but may be a flashback-related-memory, LOL.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

+1. The Karma Police outro is pretty much a ripoff of the Souvlaki Space Station outro. Don't get me wrong, it's actually a better, wilder self-oscillation but the whole idea (high pitched fast oscillation decending to slower, lower pitched oscillation) is basically the same.

So true! Boss PS-2 at it's ugliest!

• Members

Scotty Moore - Mystery Train

Don`t forget the pioners, the very first ones who experimented with delay/echo and made it a signature sound on lots of classic songs; the sultans of slapback!

The 25 watt amp below is probably the amp heard by most people in history.

"The first recordings he used it on was when he recorded Mystery Train at Sun Studios in July of 1955 and used it on every subsequent recording and performance throughout his career with Elvis up through the 1968 NBC-TV Special. He used it still when he returned to performing but has since retired it for fear of damage in transit. The 25 watt amp featured a built-in tape delay system that allowed the ability recreate the signature slapback echo sound of the Sun recordings done in the studio. Scotty first heard Chet Atkins using one in a recording and after some investigation located Ray and bought one."

"Scotty said, "I don't remember the name of the record, but I heard one of Chet's instrumentals on the radio. His guitar had the same slap, but it was a little bit different to what I was use to hearing Sam do with us. I said, "Damn. How is he doing that?" So I checked around and someone told me that he got a new amp that someone had built for him. So I kept digging and finally I got the guy's name who built it and called him. His name was Ray Butts. He had built this amp for a guitar player he worked with on weekends (Bill Gwaltney), just experimenting and trying it out. It sounded good so he brought, I guess, that one to Nashville and showed it to Chet and he liked it and bought one. I believe mine was the third one."

"Scotty purchased the EchoSonic custom built by Ray Butts on May 24, 1955. It sold for $495. He financed it through the O.K. Houck Piano Co. in Memphis where they gave him $65.00 in trade for his 52 Fender Deluxe. "
http://www.scottymoore.net/echosonic.html

echosonic.jpg

echo4.jpg
The knob labels read: (top two) "Echo | Input", " Echo | Decay"
(bottom four) " Mike | Level", " Inst. | Level", " Echo | Level", " Bass | Treble"

echo3.jpg

"It has a 12" University UC 121 speaker and powered by two 6L6, a 5e4 rectifier, several 12a7 and 12ax7 tubes."

""Scotty said, "I had the first high power system onstage. This little amp is only 25 watts and as the crowds got bigger, well you couldn't hear it. So Ray built me two 50-watt boosters with four 8-inch Lansing speakers in each one. Then I could set one on each end of the stage and crank them wide open and use the main amp as like a pre-amp. So I had a whole 125 watts, and you still couldn't hear it (laughs)""

Archived