Chorus Pedal - WOW!

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

would a true bypass stereo pedal takes a 4PDT?

Yes, I have the Analogman Stereo Clone, it has the 4PDT switch. go to ANALog MAN

AWEOSME CHORUS.........and I usually don't even like chorus pedals. I use it some for viby/leslie-ish sound. Check out the beginging of "Shoe Box Blues" (link in my sig) for a pretty cool use of the CLONE with a FD2 in front of it though a Matchless and Pro Jr.

• Members

I just snagged a Retro-Sonic chorus ensemble and have gigged a few times with it over the weekend. It sounded great and I had a lot of fun using it. It really nails that old CE-1 chorus/vibrato sound I remember from the (shiver) early 80's. I had one back then and it was on all the friggin' time.... I thought I was Andy Summers.... loser.... I know....

The Retro-Sonic pedal knocked my Maxon CS-Pro off my board. And that pedal knocked my Expression processor out of my rig... And that pedal is a winner, but don't do the vibe thing which I need sometimes. The Maxon can do a nice chorus, has total control variations and will almost do a flange, but the Retro-Sonic has a better chorus, more watery and thick through my amp. The vibe is smokin' with a slightly broken-up amp tone!

The only drawback to the Retro-Sonic is that there's NO SPEED CONTROL FOR THE CHORUS! That's what happens when they try to be too authentic in replication on vintage units? If you take the chorus intensity down some it helps, but a speed control would be nice ({censored}in' [gear-oriented] guitar players are NEVER satisfied and are all a-holes!)... :p

• Members

Original quote...

The Retro-Sonic pedal knocked my Maxon CS-Pro off my board. And that pedal knocked my Expression processor out of my rig... And that pedal is a winner, but don't do the vibe thing which I need sometimes. The Maxon can do a nice chorus, has total control variations and will almost do a flange, but the Retro-Sonic has a better chorus, more watery and thick through my amp. The vibe is smokin' with a slightly broken-up amp tone!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have tried all these below and the Retro Sonic is the best I've heard yet, considering I have a JC120 amp and have NOT heard the CE-1....

Jacquis Meistersinger ( replaced on my pedal board w/ Retrosonic)
CE-2
Clone Chorus
EHX chorus
Choralflange
CE-2
Maxon
TC Electronics[

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

Papa T, why aren't you considering the Empress Chorus? It does Vibe and Chorus, is stereo, and has a realllllllly wide range of chorus sounds happening.

If I'm not mistaken, they are built in New Zealand, right? Well I'm boycotting New Zealand products for the treatment of the aboriginal pigmy population in the 19th and early 20th century.

:wave:

I'll look into the Empress.
:o

• Members

TACO, just a follow-up to say I spent another long night with the Empress and I'm sold... you can get ALL kinds of sounds from this box, from subtle, shimmery hi-fi stuff reminiscent of the Choralflange to warped, out-of-tune, wild vibrato. Also gets as lush as my old Clone Clone, without the volume drop. SWEET.

I still can't comment on stereo, but if it's as good as the mono mode, you should definitely consider it.

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

TACO, just a follow-up to say I spent another long night with the Empress and I'm sold... you can get ALL kinds of sounds from this box, from subtle, shimmery hi-fi stuff reminiscent of the Choralflange to warped, out-of-tune, wild vibrato. Also gets as lush as my old Clone Clone, without the volume drop. SWEET.

I still can't comment on stereo, but if it's as good as the mono mode, you should definitely consider it.

Empress

Cons: Not footswitchable between Vib and Chorus mode. Bloody expensive. Appears to take a while to tweak.

Pros: Stereo, versatile, endo likes it.

Retro-sonic

Cons: Not stereo, no independent speed/depth knobs for chorus.

Pros: footswitchable between Vib & Chorus, easier to tweak, less expensive.

I'm still favoring the Retrosonic at this point. I can get some cool stereo imaging from it by running it into my DMM or DD5 and then 2 amps.

taco

• Members

Another con with the Retrosonic is that it uses 12 volt AC. So, I assume, I can't power it with my Voodoo Labs PP2?
:(

Oh well, I've already got a DMM going to a power strip, might as well just have something else running from it too.

• Members

Originally posted by BRIANJ_75206

I just got the Retro Sonic Chorus pedal designed after a CE-1 (which I have never heard)

WOW! I am amazed at how close it sounds like my JC120 amp when I compare side by side! this is a great pedal!

I have had a Meistersinger for about a year. No offense to Jacques, but this one is so close to the JC120 sound in a pedal.

I have tried so many chorus pedals and I don't know where to start..

Check this one out sometime if your looking for as close to a the Roland sound that is being currently reproduced in a pedal...

I've owned this and the ce-1. The ce-1 still has the "magic dust" but this is at least 90% of the ce-1 with less input distortion problems. Therefore, it sounds majickal.

• Members

I hooked my DC-2 up in stereo to my home theatre system last night (tower speakers spaced about 8 feet apart). Even with the crappy 20 year old solid state receiver it sounded righteous. In mono it sounds like a rather subdued chorus - in stereo you create another dimension. It was like being pulled into a Take On Me universe

• Members
Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I hooked my DC-2 up in stereo to my home theatre system last night (tower speakers spaced about 8 feet apart). Even with the crappy 20 year old solid state receiver it sounded righteous. In mono it sounds like a rather subdued chorus - in stereo you create another dimension. It was like being pulled into a Take On Me universe

LOL! I just saw that video-

But you are 100% right. I really wasn't crazy about the DC-2 in mono....then I plugged into a stereo setup and it was unreal- it wasn't a chorus so much as this otherworldly "dimensional space" that was created out mof my guitar tone....

The same thing can kind of be said for the EH Polychorus...not quite as clean and hi-fi as the DC-2, but in stereo....it's like being weightless underwater...

B

Archived