power supply for voodoo lab pedals

bojo

• Members

Hi, to the VoodooLAb pedal users here, do you use the VoodooLAb power supply to power up your VoodooLab effects or is there other alternatives? Cause I read that you have to buy their power supply.... thanks

• Members

Originally posted by bojo

Hi, to the VoodooLAb pedal users here, do you use the VoodooLAb power supply to power up your VoodooLab effects or is there other alternatives? Cause I read that you have to buy their power supply.... thanks

I'd like to see that - what does it say exactly? Mind you, Boss refers to their adapters too when describing their pedals. But because they're so common it kinda reads like: put on your Nike socks when you put on your Nike sneakers.

• Members

Check out the reviews of the proctavia in the review pages here and they're some people who mentionned that they coludn't make it work with other power supply. I know all companies try to sell their own power supplies and I found it weird that other supplies wouldn't work with that since it's a 9v. Anyway thanks for the input.

• Members

The Voodoo Lab pedals use a normal Boss-style (center negative 2.1mm barrel type) plug, so you can use any adapter or power supply that is compatible with Boss.

...except for the Proctavia. It has positive ground (just like the original Octavia pedal), and requires its own separate supply. I don't know for sure if the jack is still center negative, or if it too is reversed (I'd e-mail Voodoo Lab about that), but in any case it has to be run off its own power supply. If you hook it up to a daisy chain (power supply with common ground for all outputs/plugs), all power will be shorted out.

A Voodoo Lab Pedal Power has 8 separate power supplies in one box, so that one will work as long as you keep the Proctavia on a separate output. With other power supplies (Boss PSA, Godlyke/1spot, Dunlop Brick etc) you have to have a separate adapter for it.

So, the regular VL pedals will work just fine off any supply that is compatible with Boss pedals. With the Proctavia, you need to find out which way the jack is wired, and get a separate power supply for it.

/Andreas

• Members

Yep, as long as it's the only pedal powered from that supply. The outputs on a Pedal Power 2 are "fully isolated" (they act as 8 completely separate power sources), but you can use a regular adapter such as the Boss PSA as well, if you like. As long as you don't try to power anything else with that adapter at the same time, it will work.

/Andreas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

While were on the topic of voodoo lab pedals I have had a trem and analog chorus for a while now and they have both started playing up. Sometimes when I stomp on the switch to turn them on I get no sound. I have to turn them off and on again to get them to work. I'm hoping its a problem with their switches and not something more complicated as their waranties have run out :(

• Members
Originally posted by tone_crafter

While were on the topic of voodoo lab pedals I have had a trem and analog chorus for a while now and they have both started playing up. Sometimes when I stomp on the switch to turn them on I get no sound. I have to turn them off and on again to get them to work. I'm hoping its a problem with their switches and not something more complicated as their waranties have run out
:(

It's the switches!!!AAARGH!!!! I have the SpakleDrive and the MicroVibe, both switches have failed. VooDoo Lab changed them for free, but two months later same problem. I was going to get the Proctavia but with all the problems with the others I'll never buy VooDoo Lab again.
p.s. after the switches went out the second time, they completely ignored all my e-mails! Great customer service!

• Members

Originally posted by tone_crafter

Is there something special about the switches or could I just use generic ones that are better? I guess they are DPDT or 3PDT switches.

They are not generic......better call VL and ask them.......they told me I would probably not be bale to find the correct switch from a retail vendor, but I'm sure they would replace the switch or sell you a switch....????? Small, friendly company, it's worth a phone call or an email....

Archived