bad monkey VS Boss Blues driver (BD2)

Johansolo

• Members

i bought a bad monkey for my framus cobra to use as a clean boost. it is awesome.

but...i also want to play some blues licks on the same amp...

how is the boss blues driver pedal in comparision...

do i need it or can the monkey do both for me.

(only reason why im asking is i dont have my amp or my bad monkey at the momment to actually try it out)

cheers

• Members

Originally posted by HungPhat

i bought a bad monkey for my framus cobra to use as a clean boost. it is awesome.

but...i also want to play some blues licks on the same amp...

how is the boss blues driver pedal in comparision...

do i need it or can the monkey do both for me.

(only reason why im asking is i dont have my amp or my bad monkey at the momment to actually try it out)

cheers

From what I understand the Blues Driver has more gain, it's almost more of a distortion pedal, but with a blues voicing. Take that with a grain of salt, because I've never tried the Bad Monkey to compare.

• Members

the Blues Driver has a certain "crispiness" to it, IMHO It does have abit more gain than the Bad Monkey. Alot of BOSS pedals have a kind of "brassy-ness" to their tone, at least to my ears. It's not a good or bad thing, it just is...

I think the Bad Monkey has a smoother tone - what about cascading 2 Bad Monkeys?

• Members

Bad Monkey going into a Screamin Blues is a FANTASTIC combination...tried it once and fell in love...I'm sure you will too :) I A/Bd the Blues Driver with the Screamin Blues...as I heard it...the Screamin Blues had far more depth and touch responsiveness..and the two band EQ was really helpful rather than just a "Tone" control on the BD. The BD certainly wasn't without its charm though...definitely edges the screamin blues in terms of smoothness...but lacks the presence of the screamin blues.

Your blues licks will sound fantastic on both...its just a case of whether you want smooth, liquidy, rolling off the fingers licks with a kind of "compressed" feel (BD)...or if you want in your face, warm, rich and dynamic licks with a lot of depth (screamin blues). I'd say the bad monkey is really good for mild overdrive and clean boost as you're using it...but for lead stuff you'd do well for either a BD or Screamin Blues.

Hope this helps

:)

• Members

bear in mind the BD can be modified (keeley etc) and this makes the tone control a lot more tweekable and useable, i have a keeley bd-2 and love it, over the bad-monkey...which is a relief i guess considering a keeley bd2 is about 5x the price of a bad monkey!

Archived