Gah... It happened again!

loofery

• Members

Well we all saw what was going on with Derek this week but it just happened to me!

Yesterday I came across a 71 thinline tele for 800 bucks on Craigslist (link)

mispelled 'Telle' by the way lol...

I'm naturally like o my my o hell yeah so I email him. I'll let the evidence speak for me....

Me

to sale-178421712

More options Jul 4 (1 day ago)

Hey I'm interested in the tele.

Can you send me some additional photos?

I'm in buckhead by the way.

(didn't want to freak out like OMG LET ME HAVE IT!! and tip him off)

I get this in return today:

Seller

to me and about 20 other people

More options 8:38 pm (1 hour ago)

To all interested parties,

I have been overwhelmed with response! Thank you for

your interest.

No, it is not a reissue. It is a 1971 blonde,

semi-hollow body. Everything is original including

the case with catalog. There are minor cracks in the

clear sealer only - not in the body. Neck is not

warped, has been played and taken care of. The serial

#354029. All local and cash only - Due to many offers,

I will accept best offer over $800. Here are a few

more pictures... (enclosed)

And I sent this back to him:

Me

to Him

More options 9:29 pm (10 minutes ago)

Quite honestly, sir, it is bad form to hold a pseudo auction because you underpriced and people scrambled for it. You should be giving it to the first person to respond, whoever that was. But whatever, i'll offer $800.01.

What do you think?

• Members

Sorry to say, but i think someone will "outbid" you.

I have to say that if i advertised something for a certain price i would sell it for the price i had specified. I'm starting to think that almost everybody is a shyster these days.:(

• Members

Yeah, situations like that are frustrating, but you can't blame the guy. I mean for that price he is giving it a away. It's not like he emailed back saying it was YOURS, and then renegged saying he was taking best offers. That's a big difference. I think the way things happened, he has all the right ethically (not to mention legally) to raise his price and he simply emailed you back saying that, before accepting your offer. Though it would have been a sweet score. Now that Derek thing is a whole different story.

• Members

its not the first to respond. its the first to send the money. i guarantee that guy got 3000 people asking 3000 guestions a piece. and if its any thing like auctions i've offered, most of those questions were probably covered in the original description. and now hes probably pissed.
but "the highest bid over $800.00" that {censored}s not right. if you originally ask $800.00 it goes to ths first $800.00 am i wrong

• Members

Originally posted by murphj1

its not the first to respond. its the first to send the money. i guarantee that guy got 3000 people asking 3000 guestions a piece. and if its any thing like auctions i've offered, most of those questions were probably covered in the original description. and now hes probably pissed.

but "the highest bid over $800.00" that {censored}s not right. if you originally ask $800.00 it goes to ths first $800.00 am i wrong

That would be proper etiquette yes.

• Members

Originally posted by loofery

Well we all saw what was going on with Derek this week but it just happened to me!

Yesterday I came across a 71 thinline tele for 800 bucks on Craigslist (
)

mispelled 'Telle' by the way lol...

I'm naturally like o my my o hell yeah so I email him. I'll let the evidence speak for me....

Me

to sale-178421712

More options Jul 4 (1 day ago)

Hey I'm interested in the tele.

Can you send me some additional photos?

I'm in buckhead by the way.

(didn't want to freak out like OMG LET ME HAVE IT!! and tip him off)

I get this in return today:

Seller

to me and about 20 other people

More options 8:38 pm (1 hour ago)

To all interested parties,

I have been overwhelmed with response! Thank you for

your interest.

No, it is not a reissue. It is a 1971 blonde,

semi-hollow body. Everything is original including

the case with catalog. There are minor cracks in the

clear sealer only - not in the body. Neck is not

warped, has been played and taken care of. The serial

#354029. All local and cash only - Due to many offers,

I will accept best offer over $800. Here are a few

more pictures... (enclosed)

And I sent this back to him:

Me

to Him

More options 9:29 pm (10 minutes ago)

Quite honestly, sir, it is bad form to hold a pseudo auction because you underpriced and people scrambled for it. You should be giving it to the first person to respond, whoever that was. But whatever, i'll offer $800.01.

What do you think?

Want me to flag the listing?

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

That would be proper etiquette yes.

+1

Unfortunately i think i'm starting to be an old geezer because it seems like very few people bother with proper etiquette or trying to be fair or decent, or keeping their word.

By the same token, i really do appreciate those few who try to do things right.

• Members

Originally posted by Blungo

+1

Unfortunately i think i'm starting to be an old geezer because it seems like very few people bother with proper etiquette or trying to be fair or decent, or keeping their word.

By the same token, i really do appreciate those few who try to do things right.

Yup, some real pricks out there looking to make an extra buck.

• Members

I almost bought a 63 refinish(or some year around that time) strat off craiglist detroit for $3000. I ended up telling the guy I would fly out there and do the trade and he wouldnt go for it so I figured SCAM! He was like "but what if you beat me up and took the money"..... :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by basscracker

offer + acceptence = done deal.

Yeah, so that means in this case, there is no done deal. Loofery sent an offer and the seller did not accept. Sorry to be the devils advocate, but it's true.

And I mean if you had an original 59 Les Paul and decided to sell it on CL for $1500 since you didn't know it any different than any other Les Paul Standard, would you sell it to the first offer for $1500 even though you were inundated with emails and you find out that the guitar is worth more? I think the lame part is that he is now doing it psuedo auction style over CL which is not cool.

• Members

How dare this dude try and get a good price for his guitar! I mean the sheer audacity.

Fact is, he's after what he can get for it. If one guy offers him $800 and another offers $1500, which do you think he'd take? Should he take the $800 to be nice, or the $1500 and be sensible?

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

How dare this dude try and get a good price for his guitar! I mean the sheer audacity.

Fact is, he's after what he can get for it. If one guy offers him $800 and another offers $1500, which do you think he'd take? Should he take the $800 to be nice, or the $1500 and be sensible?

Well if he really wanted to get the most money for his guitar, he should have gone out and gotten it appraised or done his own research, and then offered to sell it at that price. If you offer to sell something for a price, and then go back on it and start auctioning it off, thats {censored}ty. Period.

You're welcome to do business however you wish, and so is this guy, but that doesn't make it right.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Well if he really wanted to get the most money for his guitar, he should have gone out and gotten it appraised or done his own research, and then offered to sell it at that price. If you offer to sell something for a price, and then go back on it and start auctioning it off, thats {censored}ty. Period.

You're welcome to do business however you wish, and so is this guy, but that doesn't make it right.

It sounds to me like he had no idea what it was worth! My girl has absolutely no single clue what any of my gear is worth (when I had it). Similarly I couldn't begin to put a price on any of her violins and stuff.

I mean if I had some thing and I guessed it might be worth about

Archived