Would there be a market for...

• Members

High end tube fuzz pedals... as in... something similar to the sound of the Beatles' overdriven mixing board, and with the ability to clean up with the volume knob.. Tube dynamics.

I've been messing around with some circuits, and I'm curious about using a tube or tubes in place of germanium or silicon transistors. I don't see why, with a little tweaking, I couldn't use them.

If I could get a working circuit, some pics and some clips and they seemed nice, do you guys think there would be a small market for them?

• Members
Originally posted by CicadaSilence

Who was that guy that ran sobbing into the night because no one liked his MXR D+ with a tube sticking out of the bottom?

Did he actually run sobbing into the night? I remember that but not the sobbing into the night bit! :D

• Members
Originally posted by alteredsounds

Limited market I'd say 'cause of worries of breakage, extra bits to go wrong. Dont go for a weird voltage, we like our 9v (and maybe 18v)
:)

I can't imagine there'd be any "extra bits" aside from the socket and tube, which would obviously get special casing. Probably work out some kind of clear plexi covering for it so it lights up. We all love the glow of tubes. :D:love:

I'd definitely try to get it to work on a 9V circuit, maybe 18.

Thanks for the advice! We'll have to see how it works out.

• Members

There'd probably be a little interest, as it seems to me someone else was promising tube fuzzes. :D

I guess it would depend how integral the tube is to the sound. Wasn't there a mass produced dist pedal that just kind of had the tube thrown in there and wasn't really doing anything? or maybe it just had a led behind it. I don't remember now, but people don't like paying for window dressing.

THough, I'm not sure I'd get it. I'm getting all full up on fuzz. I'm thinking the next one might be the one for me, but, of course, you never know until it comes in.

• Members

S-B-man: you`ll get one very early test-unit! promised!

(PCB-layout needs to be re-done, because of no-longer-availability of the tube-sockets I used before; :mad:
this also applies to quite a buch of other pedals...
;) )

Archived