For those of you that dont use a lot of pedals

porsch8

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

No doubt. Tasteless use of effects is painful (see markom).

But I can't imagine playing in a band without delay and a looper, at least. I'd be bored to tears. Maybe if you're in a blues-rock bar band or something, but..

Almost all the bands I love use effects and use them well, from yesterday (Jimi, Floyd,) 'til tomorrow (Radiohead, Wilco). It's all about context.

exactly. everything has to be in context.

There's alot of skill to properly using effects.

• Members

I think when you get new gear you try and use it a lot to show it off, but then you get into the mindset of using it because you have it and not because it calls for it. Then you play badly because your twiddling knobs instead of focusing on playing.

I don't use my TZF, Semaphore, or Wah very often in my songwriting. I write my stuff on an acoustic and usually I can tell when the effect starts interfering with the song. It's cool though because the times I do use my effects are really special.

Now in jamming I use my effects a lot more, but still not overusing it. There are some effects you might just have the tendancy to overuse, I'm that way with whammys. I would totally overuse that if I had one.

I would say if you are going to twiddle knobs, do so in your own time, not during band practice (or a show :eek: ). Also be wary of effects your prone to overuse.

• Members

hmmm

pedals at the moment on my board:

DOD Milk Box Compressor
DOD Classic Fuzz
XP-100 Whammy Wah
Behringer FC1010 Midi Board (to control my laptop's audio software :D )

I have to get around to selling some of my 'collectors' gear cause I am moving later this year

:(

• Members

I've got a fairly big board but I use all my {censored} tastefully - it's like paint on a palette, as a guitarist your guitar is the brush so when you paint aurally those effects are flashes of colour apart from the usual landscape.

It's not rocket science either ... I generally set and forget and never need to play with my effects at all. I have the exact sounds I want from the units and that's all she wrote. For people who can't quit fiddling, go see a hypnotherapist or something. I can just as easily play through a straight amp with no effects - I've always been about the songs anyway.

It's not an either or thing ...

• Members

basically it's all down to a general lack of money/dinero/l'argent. :(

mind, i'm not big on vibes, flanging, chorus, phasing etc. it just sounds tacky with the music i like to play.

especially chorus; it makes me think of "dad-rock" bands trying to cover Bryan Adams in a piss-soaked bar.

• Members
101_0200.jpg

Minimal is the way to go! I've found many pedals are far too subtle to be heard in a band context anyway, aswell as distracting me from good playing and writing.

I like to sound trippy, but I've realised you don't need vibe, phaser, flanger et al to do it. I'd love to play around on some of the big pedalboards here but I'd feel a little embarrased rocking up to my scale of small gig with 20 pedals...besides, to answer the original post, my rig combined with an ebow and amp reverb offers lots of sounds anyhow. Using only 4 effects makes me get the most out of my pedals.

• Members

i use a fuzz, a volume pedal, and a tuner. that's all i need for gigs...actually, it's more than i need, because the fuzz is a new addition.
i have many other effects to play around with at home, but they aren't need in the band.

• Members

I run my guitar straight into my amp with a Lovepedal MagicVibe in the FX loop, (though it is soon to be replaced with a Semaphore). My amp (Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45 1x12 combo) has a five button footswitch (channel 1, channel 2, channel 3, boost, reverb). Add the Vibe/Tremolo, and I am good to go. I sing lead & play guitar in a power trio, I don't have time to tapdance...........:freak:

Archived