For those of you that dont use a lot of pedals

porsch8

• Members

I use a homebrew fuzz and a Visual Sound Route 66. I'm thinking about picking up an old Small Stone and maybe a used DE-7 at my shop, but probably just one or the other. I just never really need much else than a few dirt boxes and an channel switcher to get sounds I like. The comp on the 66 is nice to have, too, but I use it mostly as a clean boost. I've got other pedals, I just never really use them. 3-4 pedals tops does it for me.

I'm a cheap date :)

• Members

I have 5 pedals, 7 if you include the 3 in the CC2, and other than a good wah and maybe a tremelo at some point I'm getting what I need out of my pedals and see no point int adding a bunch of stuff that I use rarely.

I used to be horrible with knob tweakin' but lately I've settled on a few standard settings for my stuff and leave them there.

• Members

I seem to become less effective at using pedals when I have too many to play with. Likewise if I find the stuff at my feet is too complex.

I'll float between six and ten effects most of the time, including worry free 'effects' such as a tuner, always switched on comp or buffer pedal. Even with ten pedals on board, only two would ever be tweaked live, it's all I can do to strum and stomp sometimes.

Even though I'm most comfortable with five or six effects, the lure of new sounds and trying out different pedals makes it impossible to resist adding stuff as my whims dictate.

• Members

The only pedal I really tweak around anymore is the DMM, setting it for various types of delay as I need them. My E1 is usually set up for looping, and once I find good settings for my drive pedals I tend to keep them set, as I hate finding a great setting, then tweaking it and never quite getting it back.

• Members
BillyMadisonPB.jpg

For the love of God!, don't you realize what this place does to modest setups!......................................................................................................................................................................................

FTLOG.jpg

FEAR HCFX! :evil:

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

The only pedal I really tweak around anymore is the DMM, setting it for various types of delay as I need them. My E1 is usually set up for looping, and once I find good settings for my drive pedals I tend to keep them set, as I hate finding a great setting, then tweaking it and never quite getting it back.

90% of my tweaking is delay too, the rest would be Octron. I try to use my foot for as much of the manipulation as I can possibly manage.

I remember the few weeks I spent with the Lovetone ? Flanger very well. If it was switched on, then I was hunched over it without a clue how to control what was happening. Torture in a box that bugger.

Wilbo, your pms are full by the way.

• Members

playing in a band quickly showed me I needed little more than a double booster (super duper) and occasionaly delay.

I'd rather focus on my playing than on what pedal I should switch on next.

I had a long time off playing with bands and the first time I got back into it I showed up with a super duper, a fuzz factory, a machine, a DM3 and an RV2

I only used the super duper.

after a few more times that happened, I just stopped bothering with the extra clutter.

• Members

Most of mine usually stay home-they're fun to use but I like it pretty straightforward when I play out. Od, wah and tremolo are all I really need. I could see not even bringing any if I was happy enough with my amp. For some songs-cover songs especially, people expect to hear it a certain way, so effects are needed for that.

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

I don't use a lot of pedals because I spend more time twiddlin' knobs than writing songs.

a huge +1

i was hanging out with my girfriends kid brother today.

He's a great guitar player and he's starting to get into effects. I told him that i've gone through alot of {censored} trying to find the specific sounds I like and that I use my little palette of colors to decorate songs I've written. I told him to avoid spending money on stuff he's not going to use as part of the song writing process.

I'm sure he'll buy a bunch of stuff and learn the hard way anyway but he'll have fun!

• Members

I never really spent my money on pedals. I only use an FD2 and a wah. Occaisonaly I will use the trem and reverb on my amp, but that has been it.

With that out of the way, my new band tends to do a lot of music that is out of my traditional comfort zone, so I am thinking of adding some effects to make the songs seem a little more full since I will be the only guitar player and be playing mostly clean.

I have always had a simpler set up so it will be intertesting to see what happens when I get my pedals up and running.

My other bands didn't need as much from me sound wise. I just had to play loud and rock out!

9-Pin

• Members

and you know what else...

don't get me wrong, I love ambient stuff....delay, reverb, cleverly placed harmonizers. great.

but nothing can ruin a song faster than an ill-placed 'effect' ramming it's way in without any lube. I cringe every time I hear a big old flanger sweep.

• Members

No doubt. Tasteless use of effects is painful (see markom).

But I can't imagine playing in a band without delay and a looper, at least. I'd be bored to tears. Maybe if you're in a blues-rock bar band or something, but..

Almost all the bands I love use effects and use them well, from yesterday (Jimi, Floyd,) 'til tomorrow (Radiohead, Wilco). It's all about context.

Archived