Is there such a thing as a midi string controller or midi guitar?

program_insect

• Members

I remember Roland used to make a MIDI pickup thingie, but it was circa 1988. Of course, not the Roland guitar synth like Robert Fripp had. I suppose it could be found on eBay from time to time. Maybe someone else here remember the model number.

I also remember people saying it was a little slow detecting the notes, but I guess it's a normal behaviour for those kinds of things.

• Members

Roland has long been in the guitar synth business. They currently offer the GK3 hex pickup, which can be mounted on most guitars. They currently offer the GR20 guitar synth, which has its own onboard sounds as well as being able to control other equipment via MIDI, and the GI20 MIDI interface. The GK3 will also work with many previous Roland guitar synth products. Other manufacturers such as Godin and Brian Moore offer guitars with built in pickups compatible with Roland's design.

• Members

Originally posted by program_insect

Thanks dudes...maybe I can talk him in to tracking down the SynthAxe..!

:freak:

Not to be discouraging, but the likelihood of finding a Synth Axe is extremely slim, as they are quite rare and probably would cost a fortune if you could even find one. As Paolo mentioned, Casio used to make midi guitars. I still have one - a PG380. It's a Strat-style guitar (made by Ibanez) with built-in Casio VZ synth module as well as a midi out jack to control an external keyboard or synth module. It's actually quite an excellent high quality instrument. Very different from those cheezy plastic jobs. But they are fairly rare and not that easy to find either. In my opinion, the Roland guitar synths are affordable, easy to find, user-friendly, and great sounding. I've owned a few of them and currently use the GR33 with two different guitar controllers - a Strat w/ built-in Roland pickup and a PRS with a GK2A pickup mounted on it.

Archived