Low Gain overdrives.

• Members

My Vibro Champ is in for servicing, which leaves me with my Deluxe Reverb - I love the sound of the Champ breaking up with the volume cranked, however I can't crank the Deluxe because of our kids, neighbours, my hearing. Can anyone recommend an overdrive that best emulates the cranked Fender sound?

Ta

• Members

Originally posted by andthenurse

My Vibro Champ is in for servicing, which leaves me with my Deluxe Reverb - I love the sound of the Champ breaking up with the volume cranked, however I can't crank the Deluxe because of our kids, neighbours, my hearing. Can anyone recommend an overdrive that best emulates the cranked Fender sound?

Ta

I just re-read this and had to ask. Why are you looking for an overdrive pedal to emmulate your Vibro Champ when it's only being serviced? Does servicing take an eternity or are you just interested in getting something incase something like this happens again and so you can get more use out of the DR?

Inquiring minds need to know.

• Members

I personally didn't like the Timmmy - Could've been my amp.

I'd say.. Zendrive, Screwdriver, or King of Tone..

All have waits though, some more than others.

For any gain level and amazing sound, I'd say Lovepedal Eternity. Totally melds with your amp.. although it's best with fenders. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by jackpotjewell

:thu:
Nice. I've been trying to get a hold of PC to order a Timmy, but he hasn't returned my calls. I know he's pretty busy, does it usually take a little while for him to call back?

I'd just keep trying. I don't think I've ever not had him answer in the first couple of rings but I'm a lucky guy. :thu:

• Members

just re-read this and had to ask. Why are you looking for an overdrive pedal to emmulate your Vibro Champ when it's only being serviced? Does servicing take an eternity or are you just interested in getting something incase something like this happens again and so you can get more use out of the DR?

Primarily so I can get more use out of the DR - I love the reverb and the clean tones I can get from it but 22 watts is a {censored}load to get cooking at home in the same way as the Vibro Champ, and so doesn't get the use it should.

I don't want to sell either amp (had loads of amps in the past, Champs, Princeton Reverbs, Pro Reverbs, Twin Reverbs, and these two are by far my favourites), and short of asking Fender if they'd knock up an amp that would be ideal for me - a single channel 6 watt 2x10 with valve-driven tremolo and reverb, oh, and an effects loop would be handy - a low gain overdrive pedal seemed the best solution.

• Members

BJFe Honey Bee based on a Supro is exactly what you discribe you want. I use it with my 64 Princeton Reverb and it gives me that killer cranked Champ sound for sure. Very touch sensitive and amp like. No Hype great sounding and feeling pedal. Do a search over at musictoyz.com forum and you will find many discriptions of it.

• Members

Originally posted by KRAA!!

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine? It might not sound like the Champ necessarily, but it sounds GOOD!!

Liquid Sunshine is a great (and imho underrated) OD, welcome everywhere it goes. I wonder if he's not looking for something that adds a little more color though - the LS does pretty good into a clean amp, but starts to work its real magic as the amp gets dirty. Which could pose a bit of a volume issue...

Hmm... speaking of ODs we don't talk about often that might do the job...

Menatone Blue Collar?

• Members
Originally posted by Coach

Starts with a T and rhymes with Jimmy.

Oh it's cheap too. I got mine for $90

+1 - the best I've come across for low gain, works great at low volume, LOVES 6V6 amps too. Also one of three pedals I'll never sell (the other two being my MI Audio Blue Boy and StroboStomp)!

Archived