Trying to decide between a few boost pedals

• Members

ok i have a fender lonestar strat and an orange rocker 30 going through an avatar premier vintage 2x12. i want something to make my overdrive/distortion tone fatter and to add some more gain as well. i don't want to add a ton of gain but just "some more." i don't want a treble booster or a completely clean boost. i'd also like to stay under $200. so far i am considering...

- Catalinbread SPP or SCP (which is better for what I want?)

- Keeley Katana

- Subdecay Liquid Sunshine

which do you suggest and what others would you suggest?

• Members

Originally posted by martindcx1e

ok i have a fender lonestar strat and an orange rocker 30 going through an avatar premier vintage 2x12. i want something to make my overdrive/distortion tone fatter and to add some more gain as well. i don't want to add a ton of gain but just "some more." i don't want a treble booster or a completely clean boost. i'd also like to stay under $200. so far i am considering...

- Keeley Katana

- Subdecay Liquid Sunshine

which do you suggest and what others would you suggest?

- Catalinbread:adds a little bass (or just emphasizes it). May be a little too "boomy"

- Keeley Katana: From what I hear this thing is completely clean

- No clue on the subdecay

Score a LPB-1 for cheap and you'll be great. It does just what you want and gives you a "little more". Seriously, it's only $30 or so.

• Members

Originally posted by Coach

- Catalinbread:adds a little bass (or just emphasizes it). May be a little too "boomy"

- Keeley Katana: From what I hear this thing is completely clean

- No clue on the subdecay

Score a LPB-1 for cheap and you'll be great. It does just what you want and gives you a "little more". Seriously, it's only $30 or so.

i'm having trouble finding this lpb-1 you speak of. what is?

• Members

i'm having trouble finding this lpb-1 you speak of. what is?

Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster

eh-lpb1-040630.jpg

Looks like this.

They pop up on ebay every once in awhile. I heard one of these when a friend was demoing it and it did exactly what I wanted at the time - adding "a little more". No real coloration just fuller without being boomy.

The SHO is excellent...if you need to drive long chains and retain clarity. If you've only got a couple of pedals it will simply just add a bit of brightness to your sound.

• Members

Between the two of these the SCP would be better for your needs. Get the SPP for extra grit and balls. SCP for clean.

• Members
Originally posted by Coach

Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster

eh-lpb1-040630.jpg

Looks like this.

They pop up on ebay every once in awhile. I heard one of these when a friend was demoing it and it did exactly what I wanted at the time - adding "a little more". No real coloration just fuller without being boomy.

The SHO is excellent...if you need to drive long chains and retain clarity. If you've only got a couple of pedals it will simply just add a bit of brightness to your sound.

thanks for the input :thu:

• Members

ok so the sho is on the list now, but i think the liquid sunshine is leading the pack as of right now. looks pretty great on paper and looks to have gotten great reviews. anyone know if there's clips available?

EDIT: i just noticed your post , catalinbread, recommending it. thanks.

• Members

would the catalinbread scod do a good job of adding a bit more gain if i wanted it to? just thinking it would be nice to be able to use it for low gain to add to my amp's distortion or use it on it's own for hi gain with sucky practice amps that i'm forced to use sometimes.

EDIT: just found the sound clips of the scod set for low gain and i like :D

• Members

anyone ever try one of these? it looks soooo cool.

mgc_big.jpg

and i just realized that the pro tone mach II acts like the super duper 2-in-1. the 2 thrusters in it are clones of....the EH LPB-1. How about that coach? after doing some searching i've found that the thrusters are apparently a bit darker and grittier than mosfet type boosts. sounds good 2 me :) i think we have a new leader.

ptm2r_big.jpg

• Members

I would go for the SCP. It's really impressive for what it can do as just a clean boost, but keeping the effect engaged when you switch on an overdrive pedal is such a pleasant surprise.

But check out the Tri-Boost on buildyourownclone.com as well. It may be a good place to start if you want a few options for a small price tag.

• Members

SCP and Katana are both clean boosts. The SCP has a little extra gain to it but it's not that great with a distorted amp imo. Really good to buff up Clean tones though. I'd suggest a modded TS-9 by Keeley(Plus mod) or Analogman(Silver Mod) for what your looking for.

Archived